Competition Opportunities - Seniors
International Performance Incentive Program
Athlete International A-Level Performance Incentive - Grand Slam Events
Continental Opens* / Grand Prix Events/ Pan American Championships Performance Incentive
In order to be eligible, all athletes must win a minimum of three matches, no byes, no walkovers.
* Only medals earned at non-Pan American Continental Opens will be eligible for rewards as outlined above, unless mutually agreed upon between USA Judo and the USOC.
2017 World Team
The 2017 World Championship Team will consist of 9 male athletes and 9 female athletes. As of 6/30/2017 the 9 highest ranking athletes for men and 9 highest ranking athletes for women on the World Ranking List (WRL) will be selected to the World Championship Team with a maximum of 2 athletes per category. For reference, the IJF World Ranking List can be found at www.ijf.org. In the event that a category has already been filled with 2 athletes, all other athletes in that division will be removed from the list and the next person on the WRL will be selected to the team if their weight class has unfilled slots until all 9 slots are filled for both men and women.
The above criteria in based on the current IJF eligibility rules. If the IJF changes eligibility rules USA Judo reserves the right to modify the 2017 World Team criteria.
2017 Pan American Championships team selections
For 2017, each nation will be allowed to send one athlete per weight division plus two additional men and two additional women with a maximum of two athletes in any given weight division.
Team USA will include a minimum of 1 athlete from each of the following divisions for the 2017 Pan American Championships: Women's 48kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 70kg, 78kg and +78kg weight divisions and Men's 60kg, 66kg, 73kg, 81kg, 90kg, 100kg and +100kg weight divisions.
Athletes will be named to the team via one of two scenarios:
- The athlete in each weight division who is the highest ranked athlete as of 3/27/2017, on the IJF World Ranking List will be named to the team. For reference, the IJF World Ranking List can be found at www.ijf.org.
- The remaining two men's and two women's slots will be allocated to the athletes with the most points on the IJF World Ranking List (found at www.ijf.org) during the time period listed above who have not already been selected to the team. In the event that the two men or women with the highest point totals who have not been previously named to the team and are ranked in the same weight division, the athlete with the most points will be selected. The second slot will then be allocated to the athlete with the next highest point total who is not in a weight division with two athletes who have already been selected.
USA Judo International Tournament Criteria/Policies
Effective: January 1, 2015
Athletes must meet one of the following Criteria to be allowed to qualify to participate in the following International Competitions
As of March 1st, 2015 Athletes must be on the current Elite Team Roster to qualify for Continental Opens.
Athletes may now apply for competitions starting March 1, 2015.
Contact Alexana Rotunda: email@example.com
Grand Prix or Grand Slam
- Must have finished in top 5 at the Pan Am Championships or Continental Open
- Must have been a member of the previous World Team
- Finished top 5 in one of the past two Jr. Worlds
No personal coaches will be allowed to coach at Pan Am Games, Pan Am Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games or World Masters
Personal Training Partners
No personal training partners are allowed to attend any international event as a Staff member or a Team Member
(10 points suspension)
Point System for rules on Team Trips
1 point – not wearing USA Judo shirt / provided team apparel
1 point - absent for team support day of competition
2 points - late for practice
3 points - missed practice
Any combination of the above violations that total 10 points will result in the following suspensions
- 1st offense - 3 month suspension
- 2nd offense - 6 month suspension
- 3rd offense - 1 year suspension
Automatic 3 month suspension and reimbursement of any expenses incurred by USA Judo