The USCA has implemented a screening program through the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI) in order to prevent known offenders from being placed in a position of authority in events or programs sponsored by the organization. Annual background checks are required of individuals the USCA formally authorizes, approves, or appoints to a position of authority over, or to have frequent contact with, athletes. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the following individuals:
- All members of the USA Curling Coaches Association
- The chair of the organizing committee, chief umpire, and deputy chief umpire for the USCA Junior National Championship
- All Certified Course Conductors in the USCA Instructor program
- All volunteers for junior camps and any other junior program receiving financial or administrative support from the USCA
- All USA Curling employees and board members
Members of the USA Curling Coaches Association should use the self-pay codes for background checks conducted through NCSI. Click here for more information. Background check registration information for other groups can be obtained from USA Curling Director of Growth & Development, Kim Nawyn (firstname.lastname@example.org), and/or Development Associate, Christy Hering (email@example.com).