- Level I Official
- Level II Official
- Level III Official
- Level IV Official
- Officiating Forms and Resources
- Schedule a Course
- Sign Up For Course
Level III Official
Level III officials work in supervisory capacities as Chief Umpires and Deputy Chief Umpires at national curling championships. The Chief Umpire is in charge of all on-ice aspects of the competition and has final authority for the event. The DCU provides support for the Chief Umpire and may act as the Chief Umpire when the official assigned to that role is not on-site. Level II officials with at least three years of experience can apply to enter the multi-year Level III Apprentice Program.
Admission to Apprenticeship Program:
- Minimum of three years of high quality performance as a USCA Level II official
- Submission of completed application, which includes two letters of recommendation from Chief Umpires served under within the previous three years
- Approval of the Rules and Officiating Committee upon submission of application and recommendation of the Officiating Advisory Group
Successful applicants will be expected to have completed the following additional requirements prior to application:
- Comprehensive knowledge of WCF and USCA rules, procedures, and policies
- Ability to interact with athletes and other officials in a professional manner
- USOC SafeSport online training program [http://training.safesport.org/]
- Comprehensive knowledge of the USA Curling SafeSport Handbook
Following submission of application and prior to acceptance into the Apprentice program, all applicants much pass a background check through National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI). Code for accessing background check information will be provided by USCA staff.
CLICK HERE to access the application for the Level III Apprentice Program.
Coursework (following acceptance into Apprentice program):
- Advanced Officiating Course*
Practical Experience (must be completed within three (3) to five (5) years of acceptance into the Level III Apprentice Program):
- Once accepted into the apprentice program, the candidate is expected to work at least one national event each year in an apprenticeship role**.
- The candidate’s performance will be reviewed annually by the Rules and Officiating Committee based on reports from the Officiating Advisory Group.
Certification Maintenance Requirements for Level III Officials:
- Work as the Deputy Chief or Chief Umpire during at least two (2) national or international events during each five (5) year period.
- Supervise and mentor Level II officials and Apprentice Level III officials during championship events.
- Serve as Course Conductors for Level I and Level II courses (by invitation only).
Failure to maintain certification may necessitate participation in a new officiating course (as a rules refresher) as determined by the National Chief Umpire.
Contact the Director of Growth & Development at the USA Curling National Office with questions at email@example.com.
* The Advanced Officiating Course is in the development process. Anticipated completion, 2015-16 season.
** Apprentices who cannot meet this annual requirement may apply for a single year waiver during the program period. The request must be made in writing to the National Chief Umpire.