Event/Discipline: Canoe Sprint, C1
Hometown: Gainesville, Ga.
Club: Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club
2012 U.S. National Team Member
- 2013 World Championships: 25th in C1 200m
- 2013 U.S. National Championships: 1st in C1 200m, 2nd in C1 5000m, 1st in C2 200m (with Ian Ross), 1st in C2 1000m
- 2012 U.S. National Championships in Seattle, Wash.: C2 200m, C4 1000m
- 2012 World Cup No. 2 in Duisburg, Germany: 18th in C1 500m, reached semifinals in 200m and 1000m
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Oklahoma City, Okla.: 1st in C1 200m, 2nd in C1 1000m
- 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico: 6th in C1 1000m, 8th in C1 200m
- 2011 World Championships in Szeged, Hungary: 8th in C4 1000m A Final, 8th in C1 500m B Final, 7th in C1 1000m C Final, 9th in C1 200m semifinals
- 2011 World Cup No. 3 in Duisburg, Germany: reached semifinals in C-2 500m ( 7th in semi), C-2 200m (8th in semi), C-2 1000m (9th in semi), and C-1 200m (9th in semi)
- 2011 World Cup No. 2 in Racice, Czech Republic: reached semifinal in C-2 1000m (9th in semi), knocked out in heats for C-1 200m (7th in heat) and C-2 200m (9th in heat)
- 2011 US Sprint Team Trials: 1st in C-1 200m, 2nd in C-1 1000m, 1st in C-2 1000m
- 4X 2011 National Champion: C-1 500m, 1000m; C-2 1000m (with Alejandro Schwedhelm); C-4 1000m
Click HERE to read a Q&A with Robert.
Year in Review: Flatwater Sprint
Dec. 04, 2013
In the first season since the retirement of three-time Olympian Carrie Johnson, the battle for women’s kayak supremacy was wide open. Among a host of Oklahoma City-based paddlers, Kaitlyn McElroy (Oklahoma City, Okla.) emerged as a potent threat in both kayak singles and doubles.
RECAP: 2013 U.S. Sprint National Championships
Aug. 08, 2013
Based in Gig Harbor, Wash., GHCKRT won its second consecutive Sprint National Championship team title under Head Coach Alan Anderson. The club takes home the Yonkers Trophy with 28 athletes accumulating 473.5 points.
RECAP: 2013 Lake Placid International
July 12, 2013
The 2013 Lake Placid International also served as the U.S. ParaCanoe Team Trials. Team USA will compete at the 2013 U.S. ParaCanoe World Championships Team, to be held as part of the 2013 Sprint World Championships in Duisburg Germany, Aug. 28-Sept. 1.
McElroy, Hornsby Shine at 2013 U.S. Sprint National Team Trials
April 24, 2013
The 2013 Team Trials marks the beginning of a new Olympic quadrennial, in which there will be some big shoes to fill. In senior women’s kayak, Kaitlyn McElroy (Oklahoma City, Okla.) will get the first shot at replacing replace three-time Olympian Carrie Johnson (San Diego, Calif.), who retired after London to enter veterinary school. McElroy finished first in both the 200m and 500m finals before teaming up with her Oklahoma City Boathouse District training partner Maggie Hogan (San Diego, Calif.) to win the K2 500m distance.
2016 and Beyond: U.S. Sprint Canoe Athletes Retrace Their Roots
Oct. 31, 2012
The U.S. has not sent a sprint canoeist to the Olympics for two Games, since Jordan Malloch and Nate Johnson competed in the C2 1000m at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. A trio of young “high-kneelers” hope to change that in 2016.
WEEKEND RECAP: Sprint Nationals, Slalom World Cup, Freestyle World Cup
Aug. 28, 2012
Gig Harbor, Wash. is within an hour’s drive from Green Lake, the site of the 2012 U.S. Sprint National Championships. But the Gig Harbor Canoe/Kayak Racing Team felt right at home as they won their first National Championship Team Title. The host club, Seattle Canoe & Kayak Club, finished fourth in the team points rankings.
2012 Sprint World Cup 2
May 25, 2012
After a four year cycle in which they battled each other, teammates and the world, Tim Hornsby (Atlanta, Ga.) edged out Ryan Dolan (Kailua, Hawaii) in the Men’s K-1 200m B Final Sunday to clinch the lone men’s sprint kayak slot at the 2012 Olympic Games.
More Stories ›