Event/Discipline: Sprint Kayak, K-1 200m, K-1 500m, K-4 500m
School: Kaplan University
Club: Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club
- 2011 US Senior Sprint World Championships Team Member
- 2011 World Championships in Szeged, Hungary: 8th in K4 500m heats
- 2X 2011 National Champion: K-1 5000m; K-4 500m
- 3-time consecutive LCKC Female Athlete of the Year (2008-2010)
- National Team Member 2005-2011
- 2007 Junior World Championship Finalist
- Job: Student-Athlete
- Hobbies: cycling, hiking, swimming, reading
- Quote: "We gain strength and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- How'd you get started? I began after the 1996 Olympics came to Georgia. Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club set up a middle school program and I joined 10 years ago
- Family: Fiance, Morgan House, is also a member of the U.S. National Team
- Mentor: My fiance is an amazing paddler and he always reminds me to believe in myself, no matter what.
- Trivia: I used to be a dancer and my dream is to one day be a coach at Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club.
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/paddlechick
- Website: http://www.emilyvinson.net/
Emily began paddling with the Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club in Middle School. She remains a part of the Lanier club, coached by Claudiu Ciur. Prior to kayaking, Emily danced for seven years. She then discovered paddling, quickly fell in love, and has never looked back.
More Stories ›