Hometown: Jones, Okla.
Current Residence: Jones, Okla.
Event/Discipline: Sprint Kayak, K1 200-meter
Weight: 175 lbs
School: Oklahoma Virtual Academy
Club: Oklahoma City High Performance Center
- 2013 Junior World Championships: 13th in Junior K2 200m, 16th in Junior K2 1000m with Istvan Urban
- 2013 National Championships: 1st in Junior K1 200m
- 2013 Lake Placid International: 1st in Junior K2 1000m
- 2013 National Team Trials: 1st in Junior K1 200m, 1st in Junior K2 1000m, 1st in Junior K2 200m, 3rd in Junior K1 1000m
- 2010 US U14 National Champion K1 1000 meter
- 2011 US U16 National Champion K1 1000 meter
- 2011 US U16 National Champion K1 200 meter
- 2011 US U16 National Champion K2 1000 meter
- 4-time individual National Champion
- 9-time Lake Placid International regatta Medalist 2010/2011
- 2012 Junior National Team Member
- 2012 US U16 National Champion K1 1000 meter
- 2012 US U16 Nationals K1 200 meter 2nd Place
- 2012 Olympic Hopes Regatta A Final 6th Place
- 2012 Lake Placid International U16 1st K2 1000
- 2012 Canada Day Regatta U16 1st K2 200/1000
- 2013 Lake Placid International 1st K2 200/1000
- 2013 Junior Worlds Team Member
Hobbies: Playing basketball, working out, and spending time with friends.
Favorite Quote: "Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them—a desire, a dream, a vision." -Muhammad Ali
How'd you get started? One day in April of 2008 when my dad and I were picking up my sister from rowing practice. Right around the time of the Olympic trials, a guy named Matt Woodson came up to me and asked me if I wanted to try sprint kayaking, I got started and liked being around the water, so I have been kayaking ever since.
Who's your mentor? I have many people who I admire and look up to. My parents are two very important people in my life. But my mentor is my coach Shaun Caven. He has been a major part of my success; he keeps me going every day. I wouldn’t want anyone else to be my coach; he has taught me so much about kayaking, but even more about life. He has shown me to put my mind to something and stick to it, to commit to something and do the very best you can at whatever it is.
More Stories ›