Hometown: San Diego, California
Birthplace: San Diego, California
Current Residence: Chula Vista, California - Olympic Training Center
College: UC-San Diego ‘09 Biochemistry; UC-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine ‘16
Team: San Diego Canoe and Kayak Team
Coach: Stein Jorgensen
2004, 2008, 2012 Olympian
- 2012: Reached semifinals in both K1 500m and K1 200m
- 2008: 10th in K1 500m
- 2004: Reached semifinals in both K1 500m and K4 500m (with Kathy Colin, Marie Mijalis, Lauren Spalding)
How She Qualified: Johnson, 28 earned the Olympic boat quota slot for the U.S. by winning Gold in K1 500m at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico on October 28. She then clinched the spot for herself with a 1st place finish in the K1 500m at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Oklahoma City on April 20, becoming the first canoe/kayak athlete to be named to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team.
- 2012 World Cup No. 2: 9th in K1 200m, 21st in K1 500m
- 2012 World Cup No. 1: 15th in K1 500m, 22nd in K1 200m
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials: 1st in K1 500m, 1st in K1 200m
- 2011 Pan American Games: GOLD in K1 500m, GOLD in K1 200m
- 2011 World Championships: 17th in K1 200m, 20th in K1 500m
- 2011 World Cup No. 3: 9th in K1 200m, 12th in K1 500m
- 2011 World Cup No. 2: 6th in K1 500m, 7th in K1 200m
- 2010 World Championships: 10th
- Beijing Test Event: SILVER in K1 500m
- 2007 World Championships: 5th in K1 500m, 4th in K1 1000m
- 2007 World Cup No. 2: 1st in K1 1000m
- 2006 World Championships: 6th
- 2005 World Championships: 8th
Competing with Crohn’s: Johnson, 28, was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2003, while rehabilitating a elbow injury. The illness left her unable to train in the 2003 and 2009 seasons. Johnson was accepted into the UC-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and will begin the four-year program immediately upon returning from London. She has decided that the 2012 Games will be her last.
Family: Parents - Ronald and Sally Johnson; Sisters - Stacy and Virginia
Nickname: "Care Bear"
Job: Immediately following the 2012 Games, Johnson will begin a four-year program at the UC-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
Hobbies: Painting, learning to surf
Quote: "Falling in life is unavoidable. Staying down is optional."
Honors: USOC Athlete of the Month (May 2007), San Diego Hall of Champions Athlete of the Month (August 2007)
Getting started: Johnson was introduced to the sport through the San Diego Jr. Lifeguard program when Chris Barlow started San Diego Canoe and Kayak Team.
Johnson, a native of San Diego, has been training at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif. since 2002. She got involved in sports at a young age and started swimming when she was only three months old. She has participated in soccer, dancing and diving and was a gymnast for 11 years.
More Stories ›