Bobsled & Skeleton
EVENT - BOBSLEIGH, FOUR-MAN
HEIGHT 6'2" WEIGHT 235 lbs.
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games - Gold medalist in four-man (Holcomb, Tomasevicz, Olsen, Mesler)
Follow Justin on Twitter @justinbolsen
Justin Olsen began the sport of bobsled in 2007, making the World Cup team in his first season. For the 2008-2009 season, Olsen joined Steve Holcomb's team, winning two silver and two bronze medals in the first half of the World Cup tour. Olsen also helped push Holcomb to a first place finish at the 2009 National Championships for 4-man and a silver medal at the inaugural World Cup in Whistler, Canada. At the 2009 and 2012 World Championships, Olsen teamed with Holcomb again to win gold in the four-man.
Olsen attended the United States Air Force Academy for one year, before trying out for the bobsled team, and is now a SGT in the New York National Guard as a member of the Army's World Class Athlete Program. He has three siblings: Brittany, 23, John, 12 and James, 10. Olsen played football in high school and college, and his favorite team is the Green Bay Packers. He is studying accounting at DeVry University.
- He doesn't mind the cold weather.
- He was scared of roller coasters nearly his whole life, prior to bobsled.
- He would consider himself to be a mild gamer.
- 2016 World Championships in team event - 10th in Igls (2/16)
- 2015-2016 World Cup in two-man - 21st in St. Moritz (2/16)
- 2015-2016 European Cup in two-man - 8th in Igls (1/16); 5th in St. Moritz (1/16)
- 2015-2016 European Cup in four-person - 18th in Igls #1 (1/16); 15th in Igls #2 (1/16)
- 2015-2016 North American Cup in four-person - GOLD in Park City #1 (2/16); SILVER in Park City #2 (2/16)
- 2015-2016 North American Cup in two-man - 8th in Calgary #1 (11/15); 7th in Calgary #2 (11/15); 8th in Whistler #1 (11/15); 6th in Whistler #2 (11/15); 4th in Park City #1 (2/16); 4th in Park City #2 (2/16)
- 2015 World Championships in four-man for pilot Steven Holcomb - 9th (3/15)
- 2014-2015 World Cup in two-man for pilot Steven Holcomb - 6th in Lake Placid (12/14); 10th in Koenigssee (1/15); 6th in Igls (2/15)
- 2014-2015 World Cup in four-person for pilot Steven Holcomb - 6th in Lake Placid (12/14); 9th in Altenberg (1/15); 9th in Koenigssee (1/15); 13th in St. Moritz (1/15); 8th in La Plagne (2/15); 9th in Igls (2/15); 9th in Sochi (2/15)
- 2013-2014 World Cup as push athlete for Nick Cunningham in two-man - 12th in Winterberg (1/14)
- 2013-2014 World Cup as push athlete for Nick Cunningham in four-man - 15th in Park City (12/13), 17th in Lake Placid (12/13), 12th in Winterberg #1 (1/14), 4th in Igls (1/14), 10th in Koenigssee (1/14)
- 2012-2013 World Cup as push athlete for Steven Holcomb and Nick Cunningham in four-man -SILVER in Lake Placid (11/12), SILVER in Park City (11/12), 4th in Whistler (11/12), 6th in Winterberg (12/12) 7th in La Plagne (12/12), 21st in Koenigssee (1/13), 20th in Igls (1/13), BRONZE at World Championships in St. Moritz (2/13), 10th in Sochi (2/13)
- 2012-2013 World Cup as brakeman for Cory Butner and Nick Cunningham in two-man -12th in La Plagne (12/12), 5th Team Event in Winterberg (12/12), 15th in Koenigssee (1/13)
- GOLD in four-man bobsled World Championships with Steven Holcomb in Lake Placid, N.Y. (2/12)
- 2011-2012 World Cup as push athlete for Steven Holcomb in four-man -SILVER in Igls (12/11), 6th in La Plagne (12/11), 4th in Winterberg (12/11), 9th in Altenberg (1/12), 6th in Koenigssee (1/12), 4th in St. Moritz (1/12)
- 2011-2012 World Cup as brakeman for Steven Holcomb in two-man -BRONZE in Igls (12/11), 14th in Winterberg (12/11), 10th in Koenigssee (1/12)
- 2011-2012 Europa Cup as push athlete for Steven Holcomb in four-man - SILVER in Igls #1 (11/11), GOLD in Igls #2 (11/11), 4th in Koenigssee (11/11)
- 2011-2012 Europa Cup as brakeman for Steven Holcomb in two-man -SILVER in Igls #2 (11/11)
- 2010-2011 World Cup as brakeman for Steven Holcomb in four-man - GOLD in Whistler (11/10), 5th in Calgary (12/10), 6th in Park City (12/10), GOLD in Lake Placid (12/10), BRONZE in Igls (1/11), 6th in Winterberg (1/11), 8th in St. Moritz (1/11), 6th in Cesana (2/11)
- 2010-2011 America's Cup as a driver -10th in Park City #1 (11/10), 10th in Park City #2 (11/10), 7th in Calgary (11/10)
- 2009-2010 World Cup as push athlete for Steven Holcomb in the four-man -7th in Park City (11/09), GOLD in Lake Placid (11/09), GOLD in Cesana (12/09), GOLD in Winterberg (12/09), SILVER in Altenberg (12/09), SILVER in Konigssee (1/10), 4th in St. Moritz (1/10), 8th in Igls (1/10), BRONZE at World Championships in Koenigssee (2/11)
- 2009-2010 World Cup as push athlete for Steven Holcomb & John Napier in the two-man -SILVER in Lake Placid (11/09), 5th in Cesana (12/09), 19th in Altenberg (12/09), 14th in St. Moritz (1/10)
- 2009 U.S. National Bobsled Push Champion
- 2009 U.S. National Champion as a push athlete for Steve Holcomb in the four-man
- 2008-2009 World Cup as a push athlete for Steve Holcomb in the four-man -BRONZE in Winterberg (11/08), 7th in Altenberg (12/08). SILVER in Igls (12/08) -GOLD at 2009 World Championships in Lake Placid (2/09)
- 2008-2009 World Cup as a brakeman for Steve Holcomb in the two-man -SILVER in Altenberg (12/08), BRONZE in Igls (12/08)
- 2007-2008 World Cup as push athlete for John Napier -15th in St. Mortiz (1/08), 18th in Konigssee (2/08)
Red, White & Trending: Sept. 23-29
Jamie MacDonald Sept. 30, 2016
Our 10 favorite images from Team USA’s epic White House visit, our favorite photos from the day before the epic visit (from rainy day selfies, to Olympic and Paralympic athletes receiving, and posing with, with their rings, to Team USA all dressed up for the Team USA Awards show), the Final Five’s excellent week, Danell Leyva’s “Carlton” dance lesson, Jordan Burroughs’ lasting legacy honor, Katie Ledecky’s cap celebrates in Washington, Ashton Eaton takes an awe-inspiring walk, Bubba Watson and Michael Phelps (and Boomer) are on the Ryder Cup scene, and much more.
Ryan Bailey And Justin Olsen Win Men’s Bobsled Push Championships
Craig Bohnert Sept. 21, 2016
2012 Olympic sprinter Bailey won his first bobsled competition.
Celebrate 16 Of Team USA's Greatest Hugs For National Hug Day
Jan. 21, 2016
Share the love with Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
Top 14 Of 2014: Most Popular Team USA Stories
Lisa Costantini Jan. 01, 2015
With a year so full as 2014, it’s hard to remember everything that happened. So to help refresh your memory, here’s the top 14 most read TeamUSA.org stories of 2014.
Nick Cunningham Takes Bronze In Lake Placid World Cup
Peggy Shinn Dec. 12, 2014
In the season’s first world cup, Cunningham claimed bronze; Steven Holcomb was sixth in comeback from Achilles injury.
Veterans Teach Rookies The Ropes In Bobsled
Karen Rosen Dec. 11, 2014
Five U.S. pilots from the 2014 Olympic Winter Games return for the world cup circuit, pushed by a group of primarily rookie bobsled athletes.
Olympic Homecoming For Athletes In Lake Placid
Matthew Turner March 17, 2014
A dozen local Olympians who competed in Sochi were honored in a parade
USA-1 Fourth Heading Into Four-Man Bobsled Finals
U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation Feb. 22, 2014
Holcomb and team 0.01 from medal position
U.S. Bobsled Team Prepares To Podium
Tommy Schield Feb. 15, 2014
The U.S. bobsled team is looking to make history in all three disciplines in Sochi
Team USA Says Thank You | My Sochi Story
Feb. 07, 2014
More Stories ›