Home Town: Old Forge, NY
High School: Town of Webb UFSD, ‘13
Height: 5' 5" Weight: 140 lbs
Current Location: Lake Placid, NY
Did you know...?
● I could not live without music, and chocolate.
● My favorite place in the world is the Methow Valley, WA.
● My dream vacation spot is Bora Bora.
● When traveling, the thing I miss the most is my bed, and a home cooked meal.
● My favorite meal is tomato basil pasta with freshly baked bread.
● My favorite television show is Orange Is the New Black.
● I never leave my house without my cell phone.
● My favorite quote is, “If it doesn’t make you happy, why do it?”
● If I were not an athlete, I would be a fiddler playing in the pubs of Ireland.
More on Maddie:
Maddie was born in Virginia, and lived most of her early childhood in Seneca, South Carolina. There, she was a competitive swimmer until she was 8 years old. At the age of 8, the Phaneuf family moved to Old Forge, New York. She learned how to ski during her first winter in Old Forge. That was her first experience with a real winter, and from that first season on, she has been in love with snow. Maddie skied competitively all through high school, competing at Junior National competitions, and Eastern Regional competitions.
Maddie didn't get into biathlon until the age of 15. During her senior year in high school she went to the trial races for Youth/Junior World Championships, but just missed the team. After graduating from high school in the spring of 2013, she was determined to make that team and decided to hold off on college and dedicate her time to training.
Maddie trained in Fort Kent, Maine with the Maine Winter Sports Center and found a lot of improvement in both skiing and shooting. During the 2013-14 season she competed at the Youth/Junior World Championships, along with Swedish Nationals. During her first international competition she shot clean, despite windy conditions, and received a 4th place finish. After posting great results internationally, she was invited to join the United States Biathlon National X Team. Maddie will be representing the Maine Winter Sports Center for another year, but will be spending most of her time in Lake Placid, NY throughout the 2014-15 season.
Biathlon Since: 2010
Member of National Team since: 2014
Poles: One Way
Club: Maine Winter Sports Center, Polar Bear Biathlon
Coaches: Jean Paquet, Seth Hubbard
|Youth/Jr World Championships
||2014||Presque Isle, ME (USA)||8||4||24||9|
|Swedish Nationals||2014||Ostersund (SWE)||14||12||4|
|US National Championships||2014||Jericho, VT (USA)||3||2||1|