Sport: Alpine Skiing
Classification: B2, Visually Impaired
Date of Birth: Feb. 15, 1972
Birthplace: Des Plaines, Ill.
Hometown: Park City, Utah
Current Residence: Winter Park, Colo.
High School: Plano HS (Plano, Texas) ‘90
Coach: Kevin Jardine
Guide: Rob Umstead
- 2014: Paralympic Winter Games, bronze super combined, 4th super-G and slalom, 5th downhill; World Cup Standings, 1st overall, 1st slalom, 1st for speed; World Cup Panorama, 3rd downhill and super combined, 5th super-G and giant slalom; World Cup Tignes, France, 2nd downhill run 1, 3rd downhill run 2, 3rd super combined; World Cup Copper Mountain, 4th slalom run 1 and 2, 6th giant slalom run 1, 4th giant slalom run 2; NorAm Aspen, 1st downhill; NorAm Winter Park, 2nd giant slalom, 3rd slalom; U.S. National Championships, 1st downhill and super-G
- 2013: World Cup Finals, 1st downhill, 3rd overall in speed; U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Championships, 1st super-G, 1st giant slalom, 1st slalom, 1st overall; World Cup New Zealand, 1st slalom, 2nd slalom, 3rd super-G; World Cup Australia, 3rd giant slalom, 3rd slalom, 3rd slalom
- 2012: Nine World Cup podiums; World Cup Standings, 3rd overall, 3rd super combined
- 2011: Three World Cup podiums; World Cup Standings, 2nd overall, giant slalom and slalom; U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Championships, 1st downhill, super G, super combined, giant slalom and slalom, overall national champion
- 2010: Paralympic Winter Games, 3rd downhill and super combined; Eight World Cup podiums; World Cup Standings, 1st overall, 1st super-G, 2nd downhill, 2nd super combined, 3rd giant slalom
- 2009: U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Championships, 1st downhill, super G, super combined, giant slalom and slalom
In 2000, Danelle Umstead's father Peter D'Aquanni first introduced her to adaptive skiing in their home state of New Mexico. Umstead fell in love with the sport right away.
Skiing not only gave Umstead a new passion for life, but it also led her to met her husband Rob while she was skiing in Taos, New Mexico. After he landed a job in Park City, Utah, and the couple moved, Umstead struggled to find a consistent guide until Rob took the job in 2008. He is now her full-time guide. The husband and wife duo also founded team Vision4Gold. "Vision,” Umstead says, "is to have sight, an idea, or a dream.”
Umstead has an eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa and early onset macular degeneration, meaning she has no central vision and is losing her peripheral vision. In 2010, shortly after the Vancouver Paralympic Winter Games, she found out that she also has multiple sclerosis. The Umsteads are proud parents of their son, Brocton. When they are not racing, they enjoy hiking, tandem cycling, and spending time with family and friends. In her free time, Umstead helps mentor junior disabled athletes by sharing her story and offering encouragement.
Umstead extends medal streak at IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships
Katie Branham March 07, 2015
Team USA brings medal count to six on third day of world championship competition
U.S. skiers win two medals on second day of alpine world championships
Brianna Tammaro March 05, 2015
Danelle Umstead and Andrew Kurka lead Team USA in super-G competitions
Umstead, Bathum win downhill silver at IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships
Brianna Tammaro March 04, 2015
Team USA earns two downhill medals on the first day of the world championships
U.S. team announced for 2015 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships
Brianna Tammaro and Mary Kate Lau Feb. 18, 2015
Fourteen Paralympians highlight Team USA world championship roster
Umstead earns gold at IPC Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals
Mary Kate Lau Feb. 04, 2015
Paralympian Danelle Umstead, with her husband and guide Rob, claimed gold in the slalom event
Why Skier Danelle Umstead’s 7-Year-Old Ate Dinner Wearing A Blindfold
Lisa Costantini Jan. 28, 2015
This wasn’t the first time the Paralympic alpine skier’s son attempted something like this.
Team USA earns top finishes at IPC Alpine Skiing World Cup in France
Mary Kate Lau Jan. 28, 2015
Mark Bathum took home gold and silver in the downhill at the Alpine Skiing World Cup.
Top 14 Of 2014: Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games
Paul D. Bowker Dec. 23, 2014
With expanded Paralympic coverage throughout the United States, Team USA made the Sochi Games an event to remember.
Stephens, Walker ski to top of podium in Aspen
Katie Branham Dec. 12, 2014
Tyler Walker wins four events while Laurie Stephens takes top honors in three
NorAm Cup to kick off alpine skiing season
International Paralympic Committee Dec. 08, 2014
Paralympic medalists Stephanie Jallen, Laurie Stephens and Danelle Umstead return to action