Men's Field Hockey
The U.S. men concluded the 2010 season on a high note, coming away with two victories over Argentina, an accomplishment that had not been achieved for the men’s program since 1995. Another highlight to the program came over Memorial Day weekend in 2011, when a U.S.-based team possessing nine USA Men’s National Team members won the 40th California Cup tournament.
The men, who are currently ranked 20th in the world, are building in confidence and experience and are poised for a positive push towards the top-16 in the world. An opportunity to compete at the Champions Challenge II tournament in Lille, France, provided the team with a chance to compete against excellent non-continental opposition from Europe and Asia and expand its hockey horizons. The international exposure has and will continue to greatly benefit the men’s ability to compete in the top echelons of international tournaments and will surely bring world cups and Olympic Games aspirations close to a reality.
- Jon Ginolfi is a triplet.
- Brothers Sean and Pat Harris are both members of the Men’s National Team.
- Pat Harris: Harris has been a member of the USA Men’s National Team since 2000 and prior to that was a member of the Men’s Junior National Team. He has played in over 75 international matches with the Men’s National Team, displaying his longevity and commitment to the program. He was recently recognized as player of the week in the Rabo Hoofdklasse League in the Netherlands. Harris is the only player from the United States participating in the Hoofdklasse League, the highest division of Dutch hockey.
- Sean Harris
- Kevin Barber: Barber has been a member of the Men’s National Team since 2005.
- Tom Sheridan
- Jon Ginolfi
Qualification to London: The direct route to the London 2012 Olympic Games is success at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico, in October 2011. The gold medalist at the Pan Ams will automatically advance to the Olympic Games. Canada, Chile and the world’s No. 1-ranked team, Argentina, will be key opponents for USA at the Pan Ams.
If the USA fails to qualify in Guadalajara, there are three qualification tournaments held between February and May 2012 that will provide both the men’s and women’s teams with one final opportunity to qualify. The three locations that will host qualification tournaments are New Delhi, India; Beerschot, Belgium; and Kakamigahara, Japan.
Gaining Selection to the USA Men’s National Team: In 2011, USA Field Hockey collaborated with the California Cup Committee to have the Cal Cup tournament serve as a selection opportunity for the USA Men’s National Team. The 2011 California Cup was held May 27-30 on the campus of Moorpark College, just outside of Los Angeles. Cal Cup is a longstanding, distinguished tournament that has grown to include 140 teams and over 2,000 athletes. The selection opportunity enabled athletes who were not already part of the USA Men’s National Team, to be evaluated and stand for selection to the squad. By competing at the California Cup, identified athletes were provided with further national-squad playing opportunities at the elite level.
- Sept. 1-5, 2011: USA vs Barbados
- Sept. 17-22, 2011: USA vs Australia Development
- Oct. 19-28, 2011: Pan American Games – Guadalajara, Mexico
- TBA: Qualifying Tournaments