Iowa wins 8 of 10 bouts to stomp Oklahoma State, 24-6

By Roger Moore | Jan. 10, 2014, 11:46 p.m. (ET)
IOWA CITY, Iowa – Often, when the University of Iowa is concerned, the third period proves to be the deciding two minutes in many matches. On Friday night, however, two big second periods sparked the Hawkeyes.

NCAA champion Derek St. John picked up a big reversal with 25 seconds left in the second stanza against Alex Dieringer to win a No. 1 versus No. 2 matchup at 157 pounds. It came a bout after Brody Grothus countered a Josh Kindig cradle attempt, in the second period, turning the Cowboy to his back for a 5-pointer and eventually a 9-5 victory.

Oklahoma State never recovered in the 48th meeting between the two rivals. By the time the evening was through, the 10,141 in attendance at Carver-Hawkeye Arena saw third-ranked Iowa win eight of 10 bouts in a convincing 24-6 victory over their fifth-ranked visitors.

“For this team to go forward, we have to keep hammering home the things that we have to do to create separation,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “What it boils down to is scoring points. Specifically it’s front head locks, it’s being aggressive in certain positions, being confident to take risk, and let it fly instead of not confident; I have a hold and I have to have a safety net.

“In order to get into the ballpark of Penn State, we have to do that. These two teams are similar, Iowa and Oklahoma State, that’s just a quick observation. Penn State is in a different league. Not that we can’t compete with them, but we have to hammer home the points that are going to lead to points. It’s really that simple.”

Oklahoma State (3-3) entered Friday with an 11-3-1 mark against Iowa since 2000. But the last five proved to be as close as can be with the two teams each winning two and drawing one. This time around, however, it was all Iowa from the get-go.

The visitors’ only two victories came at 141 and 174 pounds where rookie Anthony Collica (19-4) beat Josh Dziewa, 5-3, and 2013 NCAA champion Chris Perry (14-1) held off a late rally to beat Mike Evans, 5-4.

Nothing came easy for OSU. In fact, the Cowboys scored just two takedowns in the entire dual meet.

“We got punched in the mouth by a good Iowa team and didn’t know how to respond,” OSU head coach John Smith said. “We just laid down. We didn’t look like were were trying to score points early in the matches. It was almost like we were trying to get ourselves up to steal some of the matches.”

Thomas Gillman (13-2) started the evening with a win over Eddie Klimara at 125 pounds, 4-2, setting up one of the night’s featured matches.

Illinois natives Tony Ramos (16-2) and Jon Morrison entered the third period tied at 2-2. Ramos, an NCAA finalist in 2013, turned a single-leg shot and attempted counter into a takedown and three near fall points to pull away for an 8-2 decision. It was Morrison’s first loss in fifteen matches this season and third in two seasons against Ramos.

“Coming in here I knew it was going to be a big match,” said the Iowa senior. “I just wanted to go out and make a statement because I’m getting tired of hearing people saying I’m off this year. I’m not off. I’m not down. I had a bad match, and I got caught. Those are two things that happen, but you just keep moving forward.”

Collica stemmed the tide momentarily, but Grothus’ wild victory at 149 pounds was a sign of things to come. Kindig, ranked fifth, locked up a cradle to start the second period only to get turned to his own back and nearly pinned in front of the frenzied crowd.

Dieringer, 51-4 for his career with three losses to St. John, appeared headed for a second period rideout, but the crafty Iowa senior secured a reversal late. In the third, Dieringer (16-1) chose neutral but could not score in a 2-1 St. John (20-0) victory. It was St. John’s 30th career victory at CHA without a loss; Ramos is 31-0 on his home mat.

“Those are the things you fall into,” said St. John of his big reversal. “When you’re on the bottom you’re always trying to get to your feet. You’re safe on your feet. I got to my feet a couple times, got stopped, and you just keep wrestling because those things open up and develop.”

Things continued to snowball for OSU at 165 pounds. Nick Moore (12-2) provided the first nail in the coffin, scoring an overtime takedown to beat second-ranked Tyler Caldwell, 3-1, at 165 pounds. It put Iowa (9-1) up 15-3.

Perry kept hopes alive at 174 pounds, but Hawkeye freshman Sammy Brooks (14-6) slammed the door with an easy 7-1 win over Nolan Boyd a bout later.

The final nail came when Nathan Burak (6-2) had little trouble with OSU rookie Jordan Rogers at 197 pounds. Cowboy senior Blake Rosholt made the trip to Iowa City but did not wrestle due to injury.

Junior heavyweight Bobby Telford (14-1) fashioned the final score, the most lopsided in the series since 2004, with a 2-1 win over Austin Marsden in the 10th match of the evening.

125 - Thomas Gilman (Iowa) won by decision over Edward Klimara (Oklahoma State) 4-2
133 - Tony Ramos (Iowa) won by decision over Jonathon Morrison (Oklahoma State) 8-2
141 - Anthony Collica (Oklahoma State) won by decision over Josh Dziewa (Iowa) 5-3
149 - Brody Grothus (Iowa) won by decision over Joshua Kindig (Oklahoma State) 9-5
157 - Derek St. John (Iowa) won by decision over Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 2-1
165 - Nick Moore (Iowa) won in sudden victory 1 over Tyler Caldwell (Oklahoma State) 3-1
174 - Chris Perry (Oklahoma State) won by decision over Michael Evans (Iowa) 5-4
184 - Sam Brooks (Iowa) won by decision over Nolan Boyd (Oklahoma State) 7-1
197 - Nathan Burak (Iowa) won by decision over Jordan Rogers (Oklahoma State) 8-3
285 - Bobby Telford (Iowa) won by decision over Austin Marsden (Oklahoma State) 2-1