Dan Gable Experience Auction will benefit Gable Museum in Waterloo
WATERLOO, Iowa — The National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum has released The Dan Gable Experience, an exclusive online auction.
The winner of the auction receives a special opportunity to interact with Dan Gable, one of the greatest icons in all of sport. The Dan Gable Experience will take place during the Penn State versus Iowa wrestling dual meet on Saturday, December 21, in Iowa City. Iowa and Penn State have combined for the last six NCAA team championships in wrestling, with Penn State winning the last three.
“This is a unique opportunity to go face-to-face with the legendary Dan Gable at his home,” said Mike Doughty, development director at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. “Winning bidders get to witness the numerous accomplishments of Dan Gable as an athlete and as a coach.”
All proceeds from the auction will benefit the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum, a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the sport of wrestling. The Gable Museum is located in Gable’s hometown of Waterloo, Iowa.
Gable won three individual state wrestling titles at West Waterloo (1964-1966) and compiled a 64-0 career high school record. He went on to win two individual NCAA titles at Iowa State University with a career college record of 117-1. Gable won an Olympic gold medal at the 1972 Munich Olympics without surrendering a point. He also won a World title in 1971.
During his tenure as head wrestling coach, Gable led the University of Iowa to 15 NCAA championships and 21 consecutive Big 10 titles in 21 seasons (1977-1997). In 2000, Sports Illustrated named him the top sports figure in the state of Iowa.
There are three statues throughout Iowa dedicated to Dan Gable’s legacy, including one outside of Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa. On October 25, 2012, Iowa Governor Terry Branstad declared Dan Gable Day statewide.
The Dan Gable Experience includes:
1. Four matside tickets to the Iowa dual on December 21, 2013, against Cael Sanderson and the three-time defending NCAA team champions Penn State.
2. Tour with Dan Gable at his house in Iowa City, which includes his personal wrestling room, his trophy room, his workout facility in his cabin, his sauna, and his “Rocky-style” workout facility in his barn.
3. Dan Gable will provide a tour of the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex at Carver Hawkeye-Arena.
4. Four Surge jackets courtesy of ASICS.
5. Four autographed Dan Gable posters personalized by Dan Gable, four autographed copies of the “ESPN The Magazine” article on Dan Gable plus other specialty items.
6. Four National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum t-shirts.
7. Four Dan Gable shirts from Ironside Apparel. This includes a meet and greet with Iowa’s two-time NCAA wrestling champion Mark Ironside at his all Hawkeye, all the time Iowa wrestling store.
8. Dinner for four the night of the dual meet.
9. Hotel stay courtesy of Kinseth Hospitality. Bruce Kinseth was an NCAA wrestling champion for Gable in 1979. He pinned his way through the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA tournament that year.
Schedule of events
Saturday, December 21
3:30 p.m. – Personal tour with Dan Gable at his home.
5 p.m. – Dinner for four.
8 p.m. – Four front row tickets to the Penn State vs. Iowa dual at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL WRESTLING HALL OF FAME DAN GABLE MUSEUM
The National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum is a not-for-profit organization based out of Waterloo, Iowa. The mission of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame is to preserve history, recognize excellence, and inspire future generations.