California s CIF Girls Wrestling State Invitational to begin in February 2011
SACRAMENTO - The CIF State Office is pleased to announce the implementation of a Girls' Wrestling State Invitational, beginning February 25-26, 2011 at Lemoore High School.
The invitational comes on the heels of successful regional tournaments last January in which 704 athletes and 173 schools participated statewide. The State Invitational is the first event of the CIF Regional and State Championship master plan to balance the number of postseason athletic experiences for boys and girls.
The CIF currently offers state championships in boys' and girls' cross-country, football, boys' and girls' golf, girls' volleyball, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' wrestling and boys' and girls' track and field. Regional championships are provided in boys' and girls' soccer, boys' and girls' tennis and boys' volleyball.
"The CIF has been building up to this event the last couple of years" CIF State Executive Director Marie M. Ishida said. "As the popularity and number of female wrestlers continues to increase, the CIF is committed to the philosophy, if you build it, they will come. The CIF is pleased to offer this new event and we are hopeful it will grow into an event that will mirror the boys' championships."Who May Compete in the Girls Wrestling State Invitational?
- Girls must have completed the Weight Assessment Program and be listed on the schools National Wrestling Coaches Association Pre-Match Weigh-In Form presented at the event weigh-ins.
- Must have qualified from the following: (All qualifiers must be completed by Feb. 19th) North:
- North Coast Section/Oakland Section Girls' Tournament:4 Qualifiers
- Sac-Joaquin Section/Northern Section Girls' Tournament: 4 Qualifiers
- Central Coast Section/San Francisco Section Girls' Tournament: 4 QualifiersSouth:
- Regional to include Central, Los Angeles City, San Diego and Southern Sections: 12 Qualifiers.
- An athlete must be eligible in accordance with school, league and CIF rules.
- An athlete must be accompanied by a certified coach from his/her school.Weight Classes:
98, 103, 108, 114, 118, 122, 126, 132, 138, 146, 154, 165, 189, 235Registration:
Must be submitted by the section or regional at completion of qualifierSeparation:
Separation should be done similar to existing CIF State Tournament
- Separation is designated to split athletes into different quadrants of a bracket so they will not meet each other in early rounds.
- Common considerations to separate wrestlers from meeting in early rounds could be:
o Wrestlers from the same section
o Returning regional medalists and/or state medalists.Time Schedule:Friday, Feb. 25
Weigh-Ins at 7 a.m.
Tournament Begins at 9 a.m.Saturday, Feb. 26
Weigh-Ins at 7 a.m.
Tournament Begins at 9 a.m.
Finals at 6 p.m.Awards:
Individuals Awards - Places 1st through 6th
Team Awards - Places 1st & 2nd
Note: The number of individual and team awards will increase as the bracket size increasesRules:
NFHS Rules book except for the adopted weight classes.