NWCA CALL TO ACTION Save Montclair State University Wrestling
FROM: The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA)
This past March, Montclair State University (MSU) announced its plans to eliminate the varsity wrestling program. This is the second time in past 12 months they have tried to eliminate the program. Countless young wrestlers are counting on New Jersey tax paying citizens to voice your opinion again!
Please take a moment to write a letter of support for saving this Division I team. Your efforts can make a difference.
Some suggested talking points:
· Montclair State University is a state supported school funded with tax payer dollars. MSU's primary mission is to develop the next generation of teachers and the mission should include coaches. MSU should have an obligation to provide activities like wrestling that are indigenous to the region.
· There are 8,455 high school wrestlers in New Jersey and only six four-year intercollegiate wrestling programs (with an average college roster size of 25, this equates to 150 college "roster slots" to accommodate 8,455 scholastic wrestlers).
· Based on NFHS participation statistics, New Jersey ranks 8th in the nation with respect to the largest number of scholastic wrestlers in a state.
· The 2006 NJSIAA State Wrestling Championships in Atlantic City sold an unprecedented 41,000 tickets. This state tournament is among the largest in the nation.
· Nationally, the NFHS has reported that the average tenure of a high school coach in the Olympic sports (including wrestling) is only 3-5 years. This statistic, along with the dwindling number of intercollegiate wrestling programs, has created a national shortage of high school coaches.
· Currently, there are approximately 150 MSU alums that are coaching and/or teaching in the Mid-Atlantic region. Many of these coaches are among the best coaches in America.
· MSU has a very rich wrestling tradition as evidenced by the following: 2 National Team Titles, 29 National Champions, and over 100 All Americans
Please show your support for Montclair State's wrestling team by e-mailing your letter to the following officials:
Dr. Susan A. Cole, President MSU:
Ms. Alyson Thelin, Secretary to the Board of Trustees:
New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine: Click on "Education" Option
1. Be polite and courteous.
2. Thank them for considering your concerns.
3. If they fail to respond, write them again.
There is an important rally taking place on the campus of Montclair State University on Thursday, April 6 from 3-6pm. We would like to encourage as many people as possible to attend this rally to show support for the reinstatement of the program. Please wear RED to show your support and make this a fun and positive day. The board of Trustees of MSU is meeting at College Hall at 4:30pm and they need to understand both the importance of wrestling at MSU and the current crisis in the MSU Athletic Department.
Thank you for your support of college wrestling.
Director of Administration and Public Relations