Course Description: The National Coach Course is the second formalized education course within USA Weightlifting's Coaching Education curriculum. The course accommodates the needs of coaches who have already qualified as Club Coach and is generally scheduled over four consecutive days or two 2-day segments.
The aim of this course is geared toward the developing Club Coach graduate who has progressed beyond coaching beginners. The course offers an expanding education for coaches, introducing many Sports Science elements. Instructors will provide candidates with a body of knowledge and practical expertise so that they can develop their lifters from Club standard to National standard and beyond. More emphasis is on programming of training and preparing athletes to compete on the international platform. A more comprehensive biomechanics chapter is included and a number of new topics are introduced such as anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, strength and power principles and general physical preparation.
- Prerequisites to taking the course:
- Club Coach certification
- Current USAW membership and certification at the time of the course
- *Candidates seeking promotion to Level 2 Coach status can attend and pass the course if they have not fullfilled the athlete requirements listed below. However, they are given a two (2) year period to complete these requirements. Only then will the Level 2 Coach certification be awarded.
- Senior Coach Manual
- Senior Coach Video
- USAW National Coach Certification is contingent on the following:
- A coach can qualify for the National Coach Certification by satisfying two criteria: 1) bring two athletes to a national level event (the Nationals, Junior Nationals or American Open) who demonstrate good technique, and, 2) successfully complete a USAW Level II or above course, or pass a proctored practical and written exam for that level.
Video Evaluation: Applicants for National Coach Rating must submit a video clip of both the Snatch and Clean & Jerk. The video should be from the National Championship event and be videoed in such a way that the judging lights may be seen in the background.
Successful completion of the National Coach Course
- Receive a passing score on the National Coach Course Test
- Bring two, different, athletes to a national level event (the Nationals, Junior Nationals or American Open)
- Pass a background check. Click here for more information (USAW is not responsible for applicable fees)
- The athletes competing at the National Level event must, successfully, complete a technique review evaluation that may either be live or via video submission
- Complete the National Coach Application Click here to download the application
NOTE: The athletes you coach must have you listed as their Coach 1 on their respective USAW membership accounts for them to count towards your advancement
- Active, continued USAW membership and certification at the current level.
- Coaching Assignment:
- May assist with Level 1 Sport Performance Coach Courses
- Registration Price:
- $495 - If held at a location other than the Olympic Training Center. Cost does not include airfare, hotel, meals, or membership fees.
- $720- If held at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Cost includes room & board at the USOTC for the duration of the course. It does not include membership fees.
- WAIVER OF LIABILITY:
- In consideration of my participation in any USA Weightlifting program, I acknowledge that I understand the nature of the activity, and that I, and/or my minor child, am qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such activity. I fully understand that weightlifting involves risk of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis, and death, and that these and other risks may be caused by my own actions, or inaction, those of others participating in the event, the conditions in which the event takes place, or the negligence of the Releasers named below, and that there may be other risks either not known to me or not foreseen at this time and I fully accept and assume all such risks and all responsibility for losses, costs and damages I incur as a result of my participation in the activity. I hereby release, discharge and covenant not to sue USA Weightlifting, their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, volunteers and employees and any sponsors and advertisers of any USAW sanctioned event in which I participate (each considered on of the Releasers herein) from all liability, claims, demands, losses or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused whole or in part by the negligence of the Releasers. This release, waiver of liability and express assumption of risk agreement does not apply to any liability, claims demands, losses or damages arising out of the gross negligence of or intentional, willful or wanton misconduct of Releasers. If I or anyone on my and/or my minor child's behalf makes a claim against any of the Releasers, I will indemnify, defend, save and hold harmless each of the Releasers from any loss, liability damage or cost which may incur as a result of such claim.
- Please note the following critical information:
- You MUST be present for the ENTIRE course and exam in order to be eligible for certification.
- The deadline to register for any course is 5 business days prior to the beginning of the course.
- In the event a course is cancelled, USA Weightlifting is not responsible for any hotel, travel or other costs incurred by people who have registered for that course.
USA Weightlifting is the official governing body of Olympic Weightlifting in the United Sates and the provider of coaching education for the sport of weightlifting under the United States Olympic Committee. Courses and certifications provided by third party vendors/organizations are non-transferable, towards a USA Weightlifting certification. The sport and science of weightlifting is constantly changing and progressing with new discoveries happening frequently. For this reason there are no previous courses that are transferable or "grand-fathered" in to obtaining a USA Weightlifting Certification. The information presented in our courses is up to date and therefore it is in the best interest of our sport to ensure that coaches are properly training and educated. Individuals seeking certification through USA Weightlifting must complete the courses and requirements set forth by the organization.