Junior Beach National Teams
The USA Volleyball Beach Junior National Team Program is the highest caliber program in the USAV Beach Pipeline. Athletes selected to the USAV Beach Junior National Teams are highly competitive beach players with previous national or international experience. Athletes selected to these programs have an ongoing commitment to improving as elite beach athletes and possess the physical attributes necessary to advance at the international level. On the girls’ side, most of these athletes have or will receive sand and/or indoor scholarship offers. Regardless of status in the program, all athletes must attend an annual Beach High Performance Tryout.
Beach National Team Age Classifications
Domestic Programs: These programs compete domestically only and are pay-to-play programs.
- Future Stars Beach National Team - Girls only (Under 13)
- Future Select Beach National Team (Under 15)
International Programs: These programs compete domestically and internationally and are supported by USA Volleyball and the U.S. Olympic Committee
- Select Beach National Team (Under-17)
- Youth Beach National Team (Under-19)
- Junior Beach National Team (Under-21)
- Novice Beach National Team (Under-23*)
*Athletes who advance beyond the U23 team are advised to try out for the Elite Development Program (EDP). For information on the USAV Beach Elite Development Team for athletes ages 23 and older, please contact Sean.Scott@usav.org.
International Competition Schedule (2-4 athletes per gender travel to each competition.)
FIVB schedule to be confirmed*
* USAV does not control international competition, qualification, or nomination dates, and in some cases may need to nominate preliminary teams to events before the tryout schedule is complete. Please see cutoff dates in schedule for the last possible dates to be considered for international events. Please see this page for more information on selection for international events as it becomes available.
- Transition Week – Dates and location to be confirmed
- Second-level tryout for those invited (U17-U23)
- Athletes who wish to make the Elite Ten in their age group (U17-U23) must attend.
- Training Block – June 8-July 19 to be confirmed. Dates vary by age groups
- After Transition Week the groups will be separated into two groups
- Elite Ten Team – Ten athletes per gender and age group who will be considered for international travel
- Training Team – Remaining athletes who will continue to train for the Beach HP Championships.
- At this time some athletes may be cut from the program
- After Transition Week the groups will be separated into two groups
- Beach High Performance Championships – Dates and location to be confirmed
- All Elite Ten Team athletes are required to participate in the USAV Beach HP Championships
- The top 10 Training Team athletes are required to participate in the USAV Beach HP Championships. Remaining Training Team athletes will be invited on a space available basis.
Please note that athletes will not be selected for an international travel team on the basis of a one-day tryout only. Tryouts are the gateway into the USAV Beach Pipeline, and most athletes need at least a year of training before they are ready for international competition.
Domestic Competition Requirements
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes in the U13, U15, U17, U19, U21 and U23 programs will compete in the USAV Beach High Performance Championships
- All Elite Ten athletes in the U15, U17 and U19 programs will be invited to compete in the USAV Junior Beach Tour Championships, July 24-26 in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes in all age groups must play in a specific number of approved beach competitions (U15 – 6, U17 – 8, U19 – 8, U21 & U23 – 10).
- All Elite Ten athletes must play in no fewer than half of these specific events as a BNT athlete with a BNT assigned partner.
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes must play four ladder-challenge matches per month (matches organized by players with and against other members of your team. Specific rules to be provided as well as reporting system for results.)
There is no cost for the U17, U19, U21 and U23 A1 programs as they are Olympic development programs supported by USA Volleyball and the U.S. Olympic Committee
Tuition for the U13, U15 Elite Ten program and U17, U19 A2 Locals program is $700. This includes:
- Six-week training block
- Uniform package
- Entry into USAV Beach High Performance Championship
- Entry into three additional competitions at the USAV Junior Beach Tour
In order to keep track of your attendance and minimize the administrative work for your coach, you are required to register for every practice session through our web site. Registration must be made 12 hours before each session. Cancellations should be made within four hours. In case of an emergency cancellation, please call or text your coach and send a follow up email to the director.
Athletes may only practice “up” or “down” (with an older/younger group or a higher/lower group) only if invited by the coach and approved in writing (e-mail) by the director.
Outside athletes and/or coaches are never allowed at practice unless approved by the director. This includes parents helping out on the court (shagging balls outside the court is allowed.)
Because we are limiting the number of spaces on the Elite Ten teams to 10, it is vital that athletes let us know immediately if they will take part so that we may offer the spot to the next athlete. By accepting a spot on the Elite Ten Team you are confirming that you:
- Have a valid U.S. passport with six months validity remaining,
- Are a U.S. citizen and have not competed for another federation;
- Have the availability to attend the pre-competition camp and travel to the event
There is no housing support available for A1 athletes. USAV is not able to match out-of-town athletes with host families. However, a roster will be provided as soon as it becomes available so that athletes/parents can arrange host families among themselves.
All athletes who are selected to the Elite Ten in their age group will receive a USAV Beach uniform package courtesy of Mizuno. Once received, athletes are required to wear Mizuno gear to all practices and competitions. Individual coaches may provide more specific uniform requirements.
All athletes are expected to attend practice regularly.
- Athletes will not be asked to miss school for training but may need to miss school for international travel and competition. Athletes are expected to schedule studying around practice times.
- Athletes living out of the area should communicate with the director when they will be able to attend, best times based on nomination deadlines.
- Athletes competing on club, high school, or collegiate team should be certain to communicate with both programs’ staff.
For questions about the USAV Junior Beach National Teams please see FAQ or contact BeachHP@usav.org.