2013 USA Boys’ Select A1 and Select Continental Team Programs
Welcome and congratulations! The rosters for the top two USA Select programs –
- Boys’ Select A1,
- Boys’ Select Continental
together represent the USA Select National Program. The athletes chosen to participate in these programs are the highest-ranked Select-age group volleyball players in the country from the 2013 USA Boys’ High Performance tryouts.
At High Performance, we believe that you are not too young to start dreaming and preparing to be world class. You have worked hard to get here, and we hope that we can provide you with the coaching, training and motivation that will help you continue to improve and become the very best volleyball player that you can be!
We consider this an important leap forward and an excellent opportunity for unified training, development and evaluation of Select athletes as they look to graduate in 2014 to our Youth age group. The Select programs are a vital step in the USA pipeline to the Boys’ USA Youth National Team, Men’s USA Junior National Team and Men’s USA Senior National Team.
This webpage includes current information for the 2013 USA Boys’ Select A1, and Select Continental Programs. Please bookmark this page - as updates and further information become available for this Program, they will be placed on this webpage. For all email correspondence related to this program, please include your name and either BSA1, or BSCT in the subject line of the email. Please know that we will try to answer all questions ASAP, but with the volume of questions we receive after posting tryout results, you may not receive a response until later in April.
Purpose of the Boys’ National Select Programs:
The National Select Program is specifically designed as an introduction to the USA National Team system. It is intended to mirror the training and competition that USA athletes will experience as they move up to the USA Youth National Team, USA Junior National Team and USA Men’s National Team.
It is important to say now that the path to the Men’s USA National Team is not a journey that is typically completed in a few years. The players who end up wearing USA when it counts the most, on the Medal Podium at the Olympic Games, are those who have taken a many-year or life-long perspective to the challenge of becoming great at their sport.
This may be one of the very most important years in a young volleyball player’s development, because it is the one leading up to his first opportunity play for a USA National Team. In 2014, all current Select-aged players will graduate to the Youth age group and will be vying for spots on the 2014 USA Boys’ Youth National Team!
Top Select Program:
This year, the three top Boys’ Select Programs – Select A1 and Select Continental - are going to be run as a unified program once again under Head Coach of the Select group, Ken Shibuya of Stanford University.
Coach Ken Shibuya is one of the best teachers of the game in any of our High Performance programs. His mix of technical, fundamental training and positional development are exactly what is needed for optimal training of Select age players. Ken has served on the staff of four USA Youth National Team coaching staffs and has worked with one or two HP programs each of the past nine years.
The coaching staff for the Boys’ Select National Program includes:
- Head Coach, Ken Shibuya, Stanford University
- Asst. Coach, Travis Turner, Orange Coast College and Balboa Bay VBC
- Asst. Coach, Tim Johnson, Golden West College
- Asst. Coach, Delano Thomas, NCVC
- Asst. Coach, Pat Shawaryn, Juniata
- Asst. Coach, Philip Huang, Maryland Volleyball Program
- Asst. Coach, Brian Gibboney, Milwaukee School of Engineering
- Asst. Coach, Art Garcia, Southern California Region
- Asst. Coach, Armen Zakarian, Santa Barbara City College
- Asst. Coach, John Landicho, San Diego Mesa College
- Asst. Coach, Chad Salcido, Bishop O’Dowd HS
- Asst. Coach, Mike Zarate, Ocean B VBC
- Asst. Coach, Donan Cruz, Grand View University
- Asst. Coach, TBD
The Select National Program will be held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL this year and players will fly there on July 18th, train for five days and get broken up into five teams of 11 players for Select A1. Two teams of 11 will be created for Select CNT. These teams will then compete in the US High Performance Championships. Flights home should be scheduled for July 28th (after you received a confirmation to your registration, you can set up your flights for this program, in accordance with the criteria set forth below).
Opportunity for Slotting Up:
By running these programs concurrently, this gives the USA coaching staff the opportunity to slot athletes up from the Continental Team Program.
Players in the A2 program may also be asked to slot up to the Continental team
- Online Registration: Click the respective program name to register BSA1 /BSCT
- You will receive a confirmation email via our online registration system 5 minutes after registering for the program online. Upon receiving this email, you are free to book your travel plans. Please submit your travel itinerary based upon whether you are flying or driving (if you are flying one way and driving the other please fill out the ‘flying’ travel itinerary) using the following links:
Flying: 2013 Boys HPC Travel Itinerary (Flying) (If you need a ride to and from the airport)
Driving: 2013 Boys HPC Travel Itinerary (Driving) (This applies to parents traveling with their child and will be taking them to and from the airport)
- Cost: $1250 (*new this year, you can pay with a credit card-cost is $1275 total and includes the credit card charge fee; you can still pay with a check for $1250 by using the promotion code
to complete your online registration*)-includes airport pickup/drop-off, local transportation, room, food during training period, training, facility, competition costs and training gear (we will detail for you in a later update what that gear will include). Athletes will also be responsible for cost of lunch and dinners during the competition (approximately 6 lunches and 5 dinners) – estimated $150 - $175.
- Registration Deadline: April 1st, 2013
- PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR APRIL 1st DEADLINE IS A PRETTY DEFINITE DEADLINE FOR MAKING YOUR DECISION, UNLESS YOU CONTACT BRANDON DYETT AND RECEIVE AN EXTENSION FOR MAKING THAT DECISION. WE WILL BEGIN SLOTTING IN ALTERNATE PLAYERS AFTER APRIL 1st IN ORDER TO GIVE THOSE FAMILIES SUFFICIENT TIME TO PLAN FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM.
- Payment Deadline: April 1st, 2013
- This year you can pay online using a credit card to complete your registration. If you choose this option the total cost is $1275. You can still pay with a check for $1250. To complete registration using the pay with check option you will need to put in the promotion code HPCCPVUV. Once you receive the confirmation email, please mail a $1,250 check payable to USAV to the address below. Please put the athlete’s name and BSA1, or BSCT Camp in the bottom, left-hand corner of the check.
- USA Volleyball
Attn: High Performance BS (A1, or CT) Camp
4065 Sinton Rd. Ste 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
- Please contact Brandon Dyett in the HP Dept. if you need to set up a payment plan. With a payment plan, you can send checks in using three monthly installments.
- After April 1st, we will begin slotting alternates into the program.
- Once you receive confirmation of your registration, you can book your son’s flight to and from Ft. Lauderdale. Or you may drive him there.
- For flights, please schedule his flight into Ft. Lauderdale on July 18th in the preferred window of 11:00a – 2:30p arrival time.
- If you schedule him arriving earlier than 11:00a in Ft. Lauderdale, staff may or may not be there to greet him upon his arrival.
- If you book his arrival for later than 2:30p, we will do our best to make it work, but he might miss a team meeting or have to rush eating dinner.
- For departure from Des Ft. Lauderdale on July 28th, please schedule his departure in the 9:00a – 1:00p range.
- Please contact Brandon Dyett about any variances in arrival or departure.
- Don’t forget to turn in your travel itineraries at the above links.
- Rosters will be posted on the USAV HP website 2-3 weeks after registration closes.
- We will send out additional information on the training site, what to bring, how we will meet you at the airport, etc. closer to the actual start of the program.
- These emails will go out in the coming weeks.
- Parents are welcomed and encouraged to come and watch the USA Volleyball High Performance Championships.
- Parents are on their own, though they will have complete information on where the players are playing, etc. for booking their travel arrangements.
- For athletes, we do local airport pickup to the designated airport (Airport: Ft. Lauderdale).
- The $1250 covers all training costs, lodging, food during the training period, beds, etc.
- Athletes will also be responsible for cost of lunch and dinners during the US High Performance competition – estimated $150 - $175.
- The gear that athletes will receive will be detailed later.
For questions, please contact:
Brandon Dyett, Coordinator
USA Volleyball High Performance National Programs
4065 Sinton Rd. Ste 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80907