2013 USA Select A3 Program (BSA3)
Introduction to the Select A3 Program
At the international level of volleyball, one of the most prestigious awards given out at World Championships and other competitions is the High Point Scorer award. While in the United States, coaches usually look to side-out percentages and attack percentages, in the highly-athletic international arena, the main determinant of success is often simply having the highest point scorers on your team – the attackers who can terminate, the setters who can run the offense from anywhere on the court and the liberos who can handle the toughest floater and the fastest jump serve.
This is the approach and philosophy of the USA High Performance programs.
Purpose and Approach
The A3 programs are designed as shorter models of the kind of national team training and development that is done from the USA Youth National Team all the way up to the Men’s USA Olympic Team. The hallmark of the athletes and these winning teams is that players must take in a large amount of information and skill development, and then apply those skills within a competitive framework.
The goals are to learn, incorporate, improve and adapt. As a member of the A3 program, your goal will be to be among the very best players in the program, showing that you should move up to the A2, A1 or National level next year.
Camps and Staff
There are two A3 programs this year, run by our top USA Coaches, each surrounded by the highest level of staff:
- Geneva, Ohio (Spires Academy) A3 Camp – July 9th – 13th; Head Coach Kevin Moore, Juniata College
- Vernon Hills, Illinois (Adversity VBC) A3 Camp – July 7th – 11th; Head Coach, Jay Hosack of Penn State University.
In order to confirm you acceptance into the High Performance A3 program, you will need to register online at the following link. Through this registration process, you will choose which A3 camp you would like to attend.
Online Registration (click on the link for the city location you would like to register for):
Geneva (Spire Academy): Geneva Boys Select A3 Camp Link
Vernon Hills (Adversity VBC): Vernon Hills Boys Select A3 Camp Link
- You will receive a confirmation email via our online registration system 5 minutes after registering for the program online. Upon receiving this email, you are free to book your travel plans. Please submit your travel itinerary based upon whether you are flying or driving (if you are flying one way and driving the other please fill out the ‘flying’ travel itinerary) using the following links:
Flying: 2013 Boys Summer Travel Itinerary (Flying) (If you need a ride to and from the airport)
Driving: 2013 Boys Summer Travel Itinerary (Driving) (This applies if parents will be traveling with their child and will be transporting them to and from the airport)
- Cost: $625 - includes airport pickup/drop-off, local transportation, room, food, training, facility and three training t-shirts (we will detail this in a later update)
- Registration and payment deadline: April 8th, 2013
- PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR April 8th DEADLINE IS A PRETTY DEFINITE DEADLINE FOR MAKING YOUR DECISION, UNLESS YOU CONTACT COLLIN POWERS AND RECEIVE AN EXTENSION FOR MAKING THAT DECISION. WE WILL BEGIN SLOTTING IN ALTERNATE PLAYERS AFTER April 8th IN ORDER TO GIVE THOSE FAMILIES SUFFICIENT TIME TO PLAN FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM.
- Please contact Collin Powers or Brandon Dyett in the HP Dept. if you need to set up a payment plan.
- After April 8th, we will begin slotting alternates into the program.
- If you would like to look at flight availability prior to making your camp-participation decision,
For Geneva, Ohio A3 Camp, players who fly to the camp will fly into Cleveland Airport (CLE airport code). Once you receive a confirmation from your registration, you may book your flight into CLE with scheduled arrival between approximately 10:30a – 2:30p on July 9th. Please schedule athlete departure from CLE after 2:00p on July 13th.
For Vernon Hills, IL A3 Camp, players who fly to the camp will fly into Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD airport code). Once you receive a confirmation from your registration, you may book your flight into ORD with scheduled arrival between approximately 10:30a – 2:30p on July 7th. Please schedule athlete departure from ORD after 1:00p on July 11th.
It is important to note that registration for these camps is limited, and we always invite more players than we have spots available, assuming that a rough percentage of players will not be able to attend. Therefore, if we are in a year when many players do choose to attend, and you register late – you may not be able to get in to your chosen camp.
Also, the maximum participant numbers for each camp are broken down by position; and you may find that many players in your position are also interested in attending that camp. If you try to register for your selected camp, and there are no more spots available in your position, you may also try to register in the “open” position category, if there are more spots there.
- Rosters will be posted on the USAV HP website 2-4 weeks after registration closes.
- More information will be provided once you register (such as air travel information, etc.)
- If both camps fill up quickly, we will strive to find more spots, but that is not guaranteed.
- Each camp will run 5 days – the first day is a travel day, with the camp actually beginning at dinner and then an evening training session.
- There are then three full days of training, and the camp ends after a training session and lunch on the fifth day.
- The cost of the A3 camps is $625, plus the cost of your airfare to the site (or your car travel to the individual site). We do local airport pickup to the designated airports.
- The $625 covers all training costs, lodging, food, beds, etc.
- Campers will also receive three USA numbered training t-shirts.
So, please register, and please email Brandon Dyett with any questions you may have. Congratulations again to you all.
For questions, please contact:
Brandon Dyett, Coordinator
USA Volleyball High Performance National Programs
4065 Sinton Dr, Ste 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80907