COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Aug. 20, 2012) – The U.S. men’s beach volleyball team of Jake Gibb and Sean Rosenthal put an exclamation point on the best international season of their careers by winning the 2012 FIVB SWATCH World Tour point championship.
Gibb (Bountiful, Utah) and Rosenthal (Redondo Beach, Calif.) finished the 2012 season with 5,280 points on the FIVB World Tour. The team earned two gold medals, two silver medals and one bronze. They also had two fourth-place finishes and three fifths.
"The high point (of the season) is winning the tour championship," Gibb said. "If you had asked me before the season if I was going to win… it’s never even been a goal. It was a stunner and a wonderful surprise. The low point would be, I felt like we were contenders going into the Olympics and we didn’t get the finish I wanted.
"In my volleyball career (winning the tour championship) is my biggest accomplishment."
Gibb and Rosenthal won their first 2012 gold medal at the smart Grand Slam Rome in Italy (June 13-17), where they also clinched nomination to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. Their second gold medal came the next week at the 1 to 1 Energy Grand Slam in Gstaad, Switzerland (July 3-8).
In both gold medal matches, Gibb and Rosenthal defeated Brazil’s Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego, who finished second for the point championship with 5,180.
Gibb gave credit for his team's improvement in 2012 to their coach, Mike Dodd.
"We got Mike Dodd on our team. He absolutely changed our game in big, big ways. It was hard at first. It took a couple months to buy in because they were big changes. I’m glad we did."
The U.S. men’s beach team of Phil Dalhausser (Ormond Beach, Fla.) and Todd Rogers (Santa Barbara, Calif.) finished third in the points race with 4,120. Dalhausser and Rogers won the World Tour point championship in 2010. Prior to that, a U.S. men’s team had not won the World Tour championship since Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos were the top international team when the season overlapped two years (1992-1993).
The U.S. men’s beach volleyball team of Matt Fuerbringer (Costa Mesa, Calif.) and Nick Lucena (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) finished seventh in the 2012 FIVB World Tour points championship with 3,640.
Of the top-10 men’s teams in the 2012 standings, the United States and Brazil each had three teams, while no other country had more than one.
The Mazury Orlen Grand Slam in Stare Jablonki, Poland, was the final event for men on the 2012 FIVB SWATCH World Tour. For the women, the tour continues after a one-week break in Aland, Finland from Aug. 28-Sept. 2 and finishes in Bang Saen, Thailand on Oct. 23-28.
Final 2012 FIVB Beach Volleyball SWATCH World Tour Men’s Leaders
1. Jake Gibb/Sean Rosenthal, United States, 5,280
2. Alison Cerutti/Emanuel Rego, Brazil, 5,180
3. Phil Dalhausser/Todd Rogers, United States, 4,120
4. Pedro Cunha/Ricardo Santos, Brazil, 3,920
4. Reinder Nummerdor/Richard Schuil, Netherlands, 3,920
6. Marcio Araujo/Pedro Salgado, Brazil, 3,760
7. Matt Fuerbringer/Nick Lucena, United States, 3,640
8. Jonathan Erdmann/Kay Matysik, Germany, 3,240
9. Aleksandrs Samoilovs/Ruslans Sorokins, Latvia, 2,920
10. Daniele Lupo/Paolo Nicolai, Italy, 2,780
11. Martins Plavins/Janis Smedins, Latvia, 2,660
12. Benjamin Insfran/Bruno Oscar Schmidt, Brazil, 2,480
13. Emiel Boersma/Daan Spijkers, Netherlands, 2,280
13. Sebastian Dollinger/Stefan Windscheif, Germany, 2,280
15. Grzegorz Fijalek/Mariusz Prudel, Poland, 2,080
16. Adrian Gavira/Pablo Herrera, Spain, 1,980
17. Sebastian Chevallier/Sascha Heyer, Switzerland, 1,860
18. Penggen Wu/Linyin Xu, China, 1,820
19. Alexandr Dyachenko/Alexey Sidorenko, Kazakhstan, 1,780
20. David Klemperer/Eric Koreng, Germany, 1,724
2012 FIVB Beach Volleyball SWATCH World Tour Women’s Leaders (through Aug. 19)
1. Juliana Felisberta/Larissa Franca, Brazil, 5,280
2. Chen Xue/Xi Zhang, China, 5,240
3. Maria Antonelli/Talita Rocha, Brazil, 4,500
4. Greta Cicolari/Marta Menegatti, Italy, 3,920
5. Jennifer Kessy/April Ross, United States, 3,760
6. Sanne Keizer/Marleen Van Iersel, Netherlands, 3,340
7. Kristyna Kolocova/Marketa Slukova, Czech Republic, 3,240
8. Simone Kuhn/Nadine Zumkehr, Switzerland, 3,200
9. Sara Goller/Laura Ludwig, Germany, 3,160
9. Katrin Holtwick/Ilka Semmler, Germany, 3,160
11. Misty May-Treanor/Kerri Walsh, United States, 3,000
12. Madelein Meppelink/Sophie van Gestel, Netherlands, 2,580
13. Katrien Gielen/Liesbeth Mouha, Belgium, 2,480
14. Louise Bawden/Becchara Palmer, Australia, 2,200
15. Natalie Cook/Tamsin Hinchley, Australia, 2,180
16. Ekaterina Khomyakova/Evgeniya Ukolova, Russia, 2,100
17. Elsa Baquerizo/Liliana Fernandez, Spain, 1,960
18. Doris Schwaiger/Stefanie Schwaiger, Austria, 1,920
19. Karla Borger/Britta Buthe, Germany, 1,840
20. Vasiliki Arvaniti/Maria Tsiartsiani, Greece, 1,820
NOTE: The 2012 FIVB Beach Volleyball SWATCH World Tour champions are determined by calculating the points for a team’s best eight men’s and nine women’s finishes based on 75 percent of the 11 men’s and 12 women’s events (Open, World Championship and Grand Slam events only) staged during season and rounded down.