B.J. Hoeptner Evans
Manager, Media Relations and Publications
Phone: (719) 228-6800
To view the 2011 U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team Yearbook, click here.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (April 24, 2012) – The U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team has announced its 25-player roster for the 2012 FIVB World League.
The team can choose 14 players from the 25-player roster to compete in each of the 2012 FIVB World League weekends. Different rosters can be selected for each weekend and the final round.
The nine outside hitters on the roster are: Matt Anderson (West Seneca, N.Y.), Jayson Jablonsky (Yorba Linda, Calif.), Paul Lotman (Lakewood, Calif.), Jeff Menzel (Santa Barbara, Calif.), Reid Priddy (Richmond, Va.), Sean Rooney (Wheaton, Ill.), Taylor Sander (Huntington Beach, Calif.), Robert Tarr (Cape Canaveral, Fla.) and Scott Touzinsky (St. Louis, Mo.).
The five middle blockers are Russell Holmes (Fountain Valley, Calif.), David Lee (Alpine, Calif.), Ryan Millar (Alpine, Utah), Max Holt (Cincinnati, Ohio) and David Smith (Saugus, Calif.).
The five setters on the squad are Kevin Hansen (Newport Beach, Calif.), Kawika Shoji (Honolulu, Hawaii), Donald Suxho (Korce, Albania), Brian Thornton (San Clemente, Calif.) and Jonathan Winder (Irvine, Calif.).
The four opposites are Gabe Gardner (San Clemente, Calif.), Dave McKienzie (Littleton, Colo.), Evan Patak (Pleasanton, Calif.) and Clay Stanley (Honolulu, Hawaii). Rich Lambourne (Tustin, Calif.) and Riley Salmon (League City, Texas) are the liberos.
“I feel really good about the players on our World League roster,” U.S. Men’s Head Coach Aland Knipe (Huntington Beach, Calif.) said. “Most of them had very successful seasons overseas and will be bringing confidence and lessons learned back to our gym with them.
“While Olympic qualifying is our most important goal for the first part of this season, World League will be a very important tournament for us as well.”
The U.S. Men’s National Team trains in Anaheim, Calif., the Official Host City of the U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Volleyball Teams.
For the first time in the tournament’s history, the FIVB World League Intercontinental (pool play) Round, still featuring 16 teams across four pools, will be played over four weekends with each country hosting all four teams in their respective pool on one weekend each. This change is due to the timing of the 2012 Olympic Games.
The four pool winners, plus the best second-place team and host Bulgaria will advance to the Final Round on July 4-8 in Sofia.
The United States will host Italy, France and Korea at the Dallas Convention Center Arena on June 29-July 1. For tickets, click here.
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (OH, 6-10, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Sean Rooney (OH, 6-9, Wheaton, Ill., Pepperdine)
3. Evan Patak (Opp, 6-8, Pleasanton, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
4. David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
5. Rich Lambourne (L, 6-3, Tustin, Calif., BYU)
6. Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
7. Donald Suxho (S, 6-5, Korce, Albania, USC)
8. Reid Priddy (OH, 6-5, Richmond, Va., Loyola Marymount)
9. Ryan Millar (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Utah, BYU)
10. Riley Salmon (L, 6-6, League City, Texas, Pierce College)
11. Brian Thornton (S, 6-3, San Clemente, Calif., UC Irvine)
12. Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
13. Clay Stanley (OPP, 6-9, Honolulu, Hawai'i, Hawaii)
14. Kevin Hansen (S, 6-5, Newport Beach, Calif., Stanford)
15. Gabe Gardner (Opp, 6-8, San Clemente, Calif., Stanford)
16. Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-5, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-9, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Scott Touzinsky (OH, 6-6, St. Louis, Mo., Long Beach State)
19. Robert Tarr (OH, 6-6, Cape Canaveral, Fla., Long Beach State)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. David McKienzie (Opp, 6-4, Littleton, Colo., Long Beach State)
22. Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
23. Jeff Menzel (OH, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
24. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
25. Jonathan Winder (S, 6-8, Irvine, Calif., Pepperdine)
Head Coach: Alan Knipe (Huntington Beach, Calif.)
Team Manager: Rob Browning (Newport Beach, Calif.)
Assistant Coach: Gary Sato (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Assistant Coach: John Speraw (Irvine, Calif.)
Assistant Coach: Ron Larsen (Lafayette, Calif.)
Technical Coordinator: Chris Jackson (Phoenix, Ariz.)
Medical Support: Aaron Brock (Storm Lake, Iowa)