U.S. Beach Volleyball Players Acknowledged at End of Year
B.J. Hoeptner Evans
Manager, Media Relations and Publications
Phone: (719) 228-6800
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Jan. 14, 2008) – As the year 2008 drew to a close, U.S. beach volleyball athletes received accolades from a variety of sources.
- Misty May-Treanor (Costa Mesa, Calif.) was named Long Beach Person of the Year by the Long Beach Post.
- May-Treanor and Jake Gibb (Bountiful, Utah) were honored by the city of Costa Mesa, which made mock street signs for them.
- The Daily Pilot newspaper named May-Treanor’s 2008 achievements its No. 1 sports story of the year and named May-Treanor the Newsmaker of the Year.
- Kerri Walsh (Saratoga, Calif.) helped a Grand Junction, Colo., woman go shopping for a good cause.
- The Chicago Daily Herald named May-Treanor and Walsh’s 2008 achievements its No. 7 women’s sports story of the year.
- Sports Illustrated.com saluted May-Treanor and Walsh in an end-of-the-year tribute.
- Phil Dalhausser (Ormond Beach, Fla.) was honored in Ormond Beach, Fla., and Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Todd Rogers (Santa Barbara, Calif.) was named Sportsperson of the Year by the Santa Barbara Independent.