NBC, Universal to Present Paralympic Coverage
NBC and Universal Sports will present the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games presented by GE to television beginning this Sunday, Nov. 9 at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports with a 90-minute documentary narrated by NBC Sports' Bob Costas.
Following the special will be an unprecedented 28 hours of Paralympic event programming - including coverage of the U.S. Sitting Women's Volleyball Team and its journey to a silver medal - on Universal Sports taking place Nov. 10-16.
NBC Sports' Paralympic special airs Sunday, Nov. 9 and goes in-depth with top Paralympic athletes as they trained for and competed in the 2008 Beijing Paralympics. The 90-minute program, produced by Emmy Award-winning NBC Sports producer David Michaels, takes viewers on a journey into the lives of eight athletes plus the Wheelchair Basketball Team with compelling stories of determination.
Paralympic athletes to be profiled include:
- Marlon Shirley - Chula Vista, Calif., (track & field world record holder in 100m, 200m and Long Jump)
- April Holmes - Somerdale, N.J., (track & field world record holder in 100m, 200m and 400m)
- Jessica Long - Baltimore, Md., (Beijing gold medalist in 100m butterfly and world record holder in 400m freestyle, 100m freestyle and 200m individual medley)
- Tatyana McFadden - Clarkesville, Md., (wheelchair racing champion)
- Cheri Blauwet - Larchwood, Iowa, (wheelchair racer in 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and marathon)
- Marin Morrison - Sammamish, Wash., (U.S. Paralympic swimmer)
- Nick Scandone - Newport Beach, Calif., (Beijing yachting gold medal in SKUD-18 class)
- Scott Winkler - Pittsburgh, Pa., (world record holder for adaptive shot put)
- USA Men's Wheelchair Basketball Team
Complementing the NBC Sports special will be Universal Sports broadcast presentation of the 2008 Paralympics beginning the next night, Monday, Nov. 10-16 with 4-hour programs each night from 7-11 p.m. ET including the opening and closing ceremonies for a total of 28 hrs of event coverage.
A piece on the U.S. Sitting Women's Volleyball Team will air on Sunday, Nov. 16 from 7-11 p.m. ET.
"In 30 years of covering Olympic sports, I have never witnessed such a rich tapestry of stories and competition. Every race, every event brings wonder and intense excitement," said Michaels. "For anyone who loves pure sport, the Paralympics takes us back to why we fell in love with sports in the first place."
PARALYMPICS TV SCHEDULE:
COVERAGE ON NBC SPORTS: NBC Sports will present 2008 Paralympics, a documentary narrated by Bob Costas, on Sunday, Nov. 9 from 2:30 - 4 p.m. ET.
COVERAGE ONU NIVERSAL SPORTS: Universal Sports, available in 30 million homes, will present a broadcast on its 24-hour television network from 7:00 - 11:00 p.m. ET each day featuring the following Paralympic event competitions:
- Mon. Nov. 10- Men's Wheelchair Basketball preliminary - USA vs. Great Britain; Wheelchair Rugby preliminary - USA vs. Japan; Swimming; Track and Field
- Tue. Nov. 11- Women's Sitting Volleyball; Women's Wheelchair Basketball preliminary - USA vs. Germany; Wheelchair Tennis - Men's Doubles Gold Medal Match; Swimming; Track and Field
- Wed. Nov. 12- Men's Wheelchair Basketball preliminary - USA vs. Australia; Wheelchair Tennis - Women's Singles Gold Medal Match; Swimming; Track and Field
- Thu. Nov. 13- Women's Wheelchair Basketball Semifinals - USA vs. Australia; Wheelchair Rugby preliminary - USA vs. Canada; Swimming; Track and Field
- Fri. Nov. 14- Men's Wheelchair Basketball Semifinals - USA vs. Canada; Swimming; Track and Field
- Sat. Nov. 15- Women's Wheelchair Basketball Gold Medal Game - USA vs. Germany; Wheelchair Rugby Semifinals - USA vs. Great Britain; Swimming; Track and Field
- Sun. Nov. 16- Men's Wheelchair Basketball Bronze Medal Game - USA vs. Great Britain; Wheelchair Rugby Gold Medal Game - USA vs. Australia; Swimming; Track and Field
Paralympics event competition videos, video highlights, feature articles, photo galleries and more all available on UniversalSports.com.