CAP I National On-site Courses
Schedule: On-site courses are scheduled periodically. Check the USAV Coaching Education Event Schedule for the next available onsite CAP I course!
Instructors: Varied--on-site courses are instructed live. All USAV Cadre instructors are CAP III certified, background screened, current USAV members, and all have years of coaching experience from high school to collegiate to the USA national team.
Course Length: Two full days, typically a Saturday and Sunday. Day 1 includes 10 hours of core course instruction; Day 2 is 3-5 elective module topics in 1-1.5 hour long sessions. Approximately 13 - 16 hours total in a two-day classroom and on-court presentation format. Additionally, the post-course final exam must be taken online and passed within 45 days of course.
Varied--price range below is subject to change based on specific course options. This is a guideline only. All registration prices below reflect the early registration pricing. Cost will increase with regular and late registrations.
- $275 for Early Registration- Member of USAV and American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA)
- $290 for Early Registration- Member of USAV only
- $315 for Early Registration- Member of AVCA only *Includes a $25 Background Screening and 1-Event Membership fee
- $340 for Early Registration- Non-member only *Includes a $25 Background Screening and 1-Event Membership fee
Course Exam and Certification Requirements: After attending the course, coaches will receive online access to complete the CAP Level I course exam. Coaches must take and pass the exam with a 90% or better within 45 days of receiving online access. Certification Requirements include submission of the following:
|1. Signed USAV Code of Ethics||2. CAP I Coaches Favorite Drill Form|
|3. Coaches Philosophy Worksheet||4. Background Screening Form (not applicable if coach is current)|
|5. "Foundations of Coaching" course certificate (IMPACT)||6. CAP I Requirements Checklist (personal use only)|
|FIVB and Canadian certifications are acceptable as equivalents to USAV CAP Level I status. If you meet these criteria, please provide a certificate and/or other documentation to the USAV National Coaching Education office. Provided the certificate verifies eligibility, the coach may be granted permission to register for and attend a CAP Level II course. Please send documentation via email to email@example.com.|
Course final exam will be available to access after the course (timeline for this varies and depends on paperwork back). You must achieve a score of 90% or better. You will receive user name and password log in instructions via email after completing the course registration. Course exam access will expire 45 days from the date the coach is granted online access to the exam. If a coach does not complete his/her exam and pass with a 90% or better by the expiration date, there will be an additional $10 fee charged to reopen the exam after the 45-day window has closed.
Materials included: Downloadable course documents include Coach's Favorite Drill, Coach's Philosophy Worksheet, Coach's Code of Ethics and USAV Background Screening and Membership. Please note: Background screening document is only required if a coach does not have a current background screening in the USAV national database.
- CAP I Textbook, Coaching Volleyball: Building a Winning Team by Carl McGown, Hilda Fonske, Launa Moser.
- CAP I Supplemental Handout, includes updated course and health/safety info and other valuable resources.
- Additional materials include CAP I drawstring bag, T-shirt, pen, and various other goodies!
Certification Expiration and Re-certification: After attending a CAP I course, coaches have 12 months to finish the requirements and achieve their certification.
Certification is valid for four years and will expire on a coach’s certification date four years later. Prior to your course certification expiration date, coaches may re-certify
in the following methods. Click here for specific recertification information.
- Attend another full CAP I on-site course
- Attend Day 2 (4 module sessions) at an on-site CAP I course
- Attend 4 other approved on-site CAP I recert modules (CAP Module Clinic, another coaching ed clinic)
- Attend 4 other approved online CAP I recert modules (Click here for a list of approved online modules.)
- Attend a CAP II course and become CAP II certified by completing all requirements within 12 months
|Click the following link to register for this course or view upcoming USAV Coaching Education Events.
Coaching Education Events Schedule