Player and Coach Selection: Mexico 2008USA Team Handball today published selection procedures for coach and players for the 2008 PATHF Division I Tournament, to be held Nov. 20-27, 2008 in Mexico City, Mexico. For more information, visit: http://usateamhandball.org/center/womennational/
In preparation for the Pan American Team Handball Federation (PATHF) Division I tournament from Nov. 20-27, 2008, USA Team Handball hereby declares the following procedures for athlete and coach selection:
The Interim Head Coach ("coach") shall be chosen by decision of a committee consisting of:
1) General Manager
2) Technical Director
3) Athlete Advisory Council representative
Eligible individuals interested in applying for this position shall:
1) Submit a letter of interest prior to Friday, Oct. 24 to the General Manager of USA Team Handball via email to: email@example.com.
2) Demonstrate proven experience coaching a women's Team Handball team in the United States or abroad:
a. in a professional league, or
b. for a federation national team (senior, junior or youth level), or
c. in a significant pre-Olympic competition such as U.S. Sports Festival.
3) Be available to train the team from Nov. 14 through Nov. 27 in Chicago, IL & Mexico City, Mexico
4) Not be under any suspension by USA or any national or continental federation
There shall be no compensation for this position.
The 16 players (plus four alternates) shall be chosen by decision of a committee consisting of:
- Technical Director
- Head Coach
- AAC Representative
Advice will also be taken from Athletic Trainer or other medical professional.
For an athlete to be considered for selection to the PATHF Division I tournament, to be held Nov. 20-27, 2008 in Mexico City, Mexico, she must meet the following criteria:
1) Athletes must be a citizen of the United States and must have a valid United States passport at the time of nomination.
2) Athlete must be eligible under the rules of the International Handball Federation and that includes not having any imposed doping suspension in place at the time of nomination.
3) Must be a member in good standing with USA Team Handball
4) Be a member of the U.S. Women's National Team Pool and participate in a Selection Camp to be held Nov. 14-20, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois.
Women's National Team Pool ("WNTP") athletes are recruited from past national teams, existing clubs, grassroots programs, open tryouts and self-introduction or referrals. From this group, the Women's National Team will be selected by the Women's Selection Committee ("WSC") in accordance with the selection procedures. WNTP members will be observed and evaluated by the WSC at various events during 2008-09 and will be selected for the Women's National Team based on the cumulative observations and evaluations of the WSC.
The selections of the Women's National Team will be based upon the Selection Criteria listed below and include the cumulative written observations of the WSC at events that occur prior to the time of selection of the Women's National Team. The selection procedure of a team handball player has to concern itself with the individual's overall performance and her contribution to the performance of the team as a whole in interaction with the other players.
- Individual Attacking Skills
- Individual Defensive Skills
- Psychological Factors
- Physical conditioning
- Other Factors including experience
The sport of Team Handball is not a measured or timed event. In the selection of athletes who will compete together as a team, it is difficult to make selection decisions based solely upon objective criteria. The fact that various positions on the team (wing, backcourt, pivot and goalkeeper) require different physical and mental attributes must be considered. While some of these positions can be measured in absolute (quantitative) terms, the overall effectiveness of a player and her value to the team is of necessity, discretionary.
The WSC will nominate 16 athletes to the Women's National Team and four alternate athletes no later than Nov. 20, 2008. Alternates will not be listed in any specific order.