Welcome! I’m Steve Pastorino, general manager of USA Team Handball. As you may know, an organization in Salt Lake City, Utah was recently certified as the new National Governing Body. We take on this challenge with a great sense of responsibility and purpose and look forward to serving the U.S. Team Handball community including players, coaches, referees, fans, sponsors and friends. I would also like to welcome many friends of USA Team Handball from around the world, including the Pan American Team Handball Federation and the International Handball Federation.
In the coming weeks and months, check this space regularly for the latest news and updates from the Federation. There are countless places to begin our restructuring and expansion of the Team Handball in the USA, including:
• Encouraging more young people to play – our grass roots plans
• Enhancing and supporting our club structure
• Domestic competitions including Nationals and Regionals
• Men’s & Women’s National Teams (Senior, Junior & Youth)
• Referee Development
• Generating more media exposure
• Handball on television
We have been diligently at work for about four weeks since the Handball Summit held in St. Louis in mid-June. We are close to finalizing office space, a new website, job descriptions for several key positions in and outside of Salt Lake City and a more.
I couldn’t do this alone, so in the weeks to come I’ll introduce key members of the USA Team Handball organization including:
• Dieter Esch, co-owner of Wilhelmina (worldwide model and talent representation agency) and Chairman of our Board of Directors.
• Six other national members of our Board of Directors
• Amir Haskic, National Technical Director, who heads the development of the “sport” side of the organization. Expect regular bulletins from him in this space as well.
The Beijing Summer Games kick off 21 days from now … at 8:08pm on August 8th … and we can’t wait to watch some great handball! As soon as NBC releases the schedule for televised handball matches, we will be sure to let you know!