USAT Poomsae Coordinators Recommend Educational Resources
Below are some instructional materials recommended by the USA Taekwondo Poomsae Coordinators to help referees, coaches, and competitors prepare for the upcoming U.S. National Taekwondo Poomsae Team Trials. Please understand that none of these materials is without shortcomings, none can stand alone, and none is a substitute for attending an official WTF Poomsae International Referee Seminar. However, these resources may help us to share a common vision about what our modern sport Poomsae are supposed to be:
1. Probably the best example is to see what actually wins at world-level competition. The following DVD set has the performances that took gold, bronze, and silver at the 1st WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships in 2006 (there is not yet a DVD of the 2nd World Poomsae Championship in 2007):
"The 1st WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships" (2-DVD set)
2. The most current and complete technical DVD set, extremely thorough and detailed, presenting Kukkiwon standards:
"Taekwondo (new Kukkiwon Poomsae)" by Lee Kyu-Hyung, Hwang In-Sik, Kang Ik-Pil, Lee Chong-Kwon, Lee Choon-Woo, & Park Jeong-Beom (6-DVD set)
3. The book that accompanies the above 6-DVD set, also extremely thorough and detailed (must be purchased separately):
"The Explanation of Taekwondo Poomsae" (book) by Ikpil Kang & Namjung Song
4. A DVD set that details WTF standards. Somewhat dated, but still pretty darn close:
"WTF Standard Taekwondo Poomsae" (5-DVD set) by Lee Kyu Hyun & Jung Kook Hyun
5. The official Kukkiwon website also has the "Kukkiwon Standard Taekwondo Poomsae," most dated version of all but still pretty close and its free: http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information04_03.jsp?div=04
Suppliers of DVD and book include:
Vision USA, Inc.
205 Kirkham St.
Oakland CA 94607