2014 National Team Selection Procedures: Important Notice
Notice regarding the 2014 National Team Selection Procedures
Attention all athletes and coaches:
The World Taekwondo Federation is changing the qualification process for 2016 Olympic Games. In the future the new Olympic qualification system will involve the WTF World Rankings and a new series of events called the Grand Prix. Details regarding this system are not yet known. The details of the new qualification system will not be finalized or released until late July 2013 at the earliest.
One of the main goals of USA Taekwondo is to qualify a full team for the 2016 Olympic Games. To give us the best chance to achieve that goal we must understand the Olympic qualification process in its entirety before determining the selection process for any National Team.
The final 2014 National Team Selection Procedures will be developed after the WTF officially releases this new qualification system. We anticipate that the top four athletes in each World Class Black Belt division from the USAT National Championships qualify for a 2014 National Team Trial to take place at a TBD date. This process will be used unless the selection procedures committee determines that the changes the WTF make to the Olympic Qualification System require a change in our domestic National Team Selection process.
Because the 2013 USAT National Championships may play a role in the team selection process for the 2014 U.S. National Team, athletes who turn 16 prior to, or on, December 31, 2013, will be allowed to participate in the SENIOR WORLD CLASS (SPARRING) divisions at the 2013 USAT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Athletes meeting this criteria are being given a waiver into these divisions without qualifying at a USAT State Championship, because they were initially denied participation due to age restrictions. These athletes may select the weight category of their choice, but must make this weight category at the official weigh-ins of the USAT National Championships. If athletes do not make their declared weight category they cannot move into a different category, nor move to GRASS ROOTS.
**Athletes who meet this criteria should contact USAT Director of Events, Travis Oosthoek by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register for these divisions.
The 2013 USAT National Championships will take place in Chicago, Illinois on July 3-8, 2013. It is in the best interest of all athletes to participate in the 2013 National Championships World Class Black Belt Division and achieve the best result that he/she can.
Members of the 2013 World Championships Team do not need to participate at the 2013 National Championships. These athletes will receive a performance wavier past this event regardless of the procedure due to the conflict with the 2013 World Championships.
Seeding Criteria to be used at the 2013 USAT National Championships (Senior World Class – Black belt) divisions.
- The 2nd place finisher from the 2013 U.S. National Team Trial/Fight-Off (January 2013, Colorado Springs, CO), competing in the same weight category as they were in the 2013 U.S. National Team Trial/Fight-Off.
- This is followed by a random draw of all 1st place finishers from a 2013 Sanctioned USAT State Championships.
- This is followed by a random draw of all 2nd place finishers from a 2013 Sanctioned USAT State Championships.
- This is followed by a random draw of all 3rd place finishers from a 2013 Sanctioned USAT State Championships. (Note: both non-advancing semi-finalists per division will be considered equal 3rd place finishers).
- This is followed by a random draw of all athletes receiving a waiver into the 2013 USAT National Championships, WORLD CLASS divisions.
- This is followed by the SENIOR GRASS ROOTS winner, from the same weight category, at the 2013 USAT National Championships.
For questions regarding the 2014 National Team selection procedures, please contact USAT High Performance Director, Meredith Miller by email (email@example.com)