2013 Cadet Divisions Update
USA Taekwondo formed a task force consisting of USAT Referees, USAT member coaches and an AAC representative to evaluate the Junior Safety Rules (JSR) and how they pertain to the new WTF Cadet (12-14 year olds) divisions.
After review and discussion from this task force, USA Taekwondo will proceed with the following recommendations for the 2013 event season:
- Cadet divisions at the 2013 U.S. Open Taekwondo Championships will follow JSR.
- All 2013 USAT State Championships will run Cadet divisions using JSR.
- At the 2013 USAT National Championships, USAT will offer two black belt Cadet divisions. One division will be classified as Grass Roots, the other World Class.
- Grass Roots division will follow JSR.
- World Class division will follow Adult Rules.
- All Cadet color belt divisions will follow JSR at the USAT National Championships
Athletes who are eligible to compete at the USAT National Championships (those qualifying by competing at a 2013 USAT State Championship) can choose what Cadet National Championship division is appropriate for their skill level at the time of registration. Athletes cannot compete in both divisions. Winners of Cadet Grass Roots divisions will not move to the corresponding Cadet World Class divisions.
If athletes are interested in making the 2013 USAT Cadet National Team and/or competing at the yet to be announced WTF Cadet World Championships, they must compete in the World Class division. Once they make an announcement, proper procedures will be made to have this team compete at the event.