2013 U.S. Open Taekwondo Championships Update
2013 U.S. Open Taekwondo Championships News and Updates
As many of you may know, the WTF recently (December 26, 2012) changed the age divisions for both poomsae and sparring. Because the U.S. Open is a WTF Sanctioned event, USA Taekwondo will be adjusting the 2013 U.S. Open divisions accordingly.
We understand this may cause some problems for those athletes and coaches who have already made their plans and we are deeply sorry for this. The USAT Events department tries to have information posted well in advance of the event (registration went live for the event in August). Due to USAT following the WTF sanction guidelines, we must adopt these changes even though we are roughly 6 weeks from the event.
The Poomsae changes are as follows:
- Junior individual poomsae divisions (male and female) changed from 14-17 years old to 15-17 years old.
- 1st pair division changed from 14-29 to 18-29 years old.
- 1st team (male and female) divisions changed from 14-29 to 18-29 years old.
New divisions added:
- Junior pair 15-17 years old (two members, one male, one female).
- Junior male team 15-17 years old (three members, all male).
- Junior female team 15-17 years old (three members, all female).
- Cadet (12-14) Individual poomsae divisions.
**At the 2013 U.S. Open Cadet Pairs or Team divisions will follow USAT rules, as the WTF has no rules on these divisions and any rule making will not take place until April.
The Sparring changes are as follows:
- Senior divisions are now classified as 17 and older.
**Athletes age is determine by the age they will be as of December 31, 2013 for the 2013 U.S. Open Taekwondo Championships.
- Junior divisions are now classified as 15-17.
New divisions added:
- Cadet divisions are now classified as 12-14 and with new weight categories.
|MALE CATEGORIES||FEMALE CATEGORIES|
|FIN||Under 33kg||FIN||Under 29kg|
|FLY||Over 33kg & Not exceeding 37kg||FLY||Over 29kg & Not exceeding 33kg|
|BANTAM||Over 37kg & Not exceeding 41kg||BANTAM||Over 33kg & Not exceeding 37kg|
|FEATHER||Over 41kg & Not exceeding 45kg||FEATHER||Over 37kg & Not exceeding 41kg|
|LIGHT||Over 45kg & Not exceeding 49kg||LIGHT||Over 41kg & Not excedding 44kg|
|WELTER||Over 49kg & Not exceeding 53kg||WELTER||Over 44kg & Not exceeding 47kg|
|LT. MIDDLE||Over 53kg & Not exceeding 57kg||LT. MIDDLE||Over 47kg & Not exceeding 51kg|
|MIDDLE||Over 57kg & Not excedding 61kg||MIDDLE||Over 51kg & Not exceeding 55kg|
|LT. HEAVY||Over 61kg & Not exceeding 65kg||LT. HEAVY||Over 55kg & Not exceeding 59kg|
|HEAVY||Over 65kg||HEAVY||Over 59kg|
Miscellaneous Event Information:
In addition to new sparring and poomsae divisions, the WTF recently passed a rule requiring that all SENIOR athletes must have a WTF GAL (Global Athlete License) to compete at WTF Sanctioned Opens. For the 2013 U.S. Open, INTERNATIONAL SENIOR athletes need this new WTF GAL. See the U.S. Open event page for further information.
Important Schedule Changes:
- All Poomsae divisions will still compete on Tuesday, February 19, 2013.
- Cadet Divisions (12-14) will compete on Wednesday, February 20, 2013.
- Junior Divisions (15-17) will compete on Saturday, February 23, 2013.
To view the UPDATED 2013 U.S. Open Event Schedule, please click here.