Dr. Michael Babuin
EDUCATION: BS/Geology; MS/Geophysical Sciences; PhD/Environmental Engineering
Over 20 years working as a Project Director and Manager on large (General) scale, multi-million dollar infrastructure and public health-oriented projects throughout the world. Worked previously for several Fortune 500 global engineering firms and a local government. Currently working as the High Performance and Programming Director for Triangle Table Tennis and as an adjunct professor for Campbell University.
(Specific Table Tennis)
- Founder and President of the Cary Table Tennis Association a 501 (c) (3) federal not-for-profit corporation;
- Promoter, Organizer, Director and chief fund-raiser for the Cary Cup Championship - the largest giant round robin table tennis competition in the USA;
- Served on the USATT Board of Directors since 2008; served as Chairman of the Board 2013-2015
- Served on the ITTF Board of Directors 2014-2015;
- Served on ITTF/North America Board of Directors (formerly called North American Table Tennis Union - NATTU) 2014 – 2015
- USATT Hardbat Committee (Chair, 2009);
- Board of Advisors, National Collegiate Table Tennis Association (2009-2010);
- Tournament Director for hundreds of tournaments over the past 15-years;
- USATT Club Umpire Certification; USATT Regional Umpire Certification (pending) and USATT Regional level Coaching certification; ITTF Level 1 coaching certification (pending)
- Organizer for NC State Games Competitions (2005-2006, 2015);
- Organizer for various Senior Games competitions;
- Intermediate (1800 level) player;
Table Tennis Interests:
- Implementation of a sound short and long term strategy to expand table tennis throughout the USA, in the school system;
- Promotion of the Olympic Ideals and expansion of Regional Training Centers throughout the USA;
- Development and implementation of a program to help clubs throughout the country expand, multiply, and proliferate through public and private partnerships;
- Promoting cultural exchange with developing athletes from other countries.
(Additional personal interest) Avid table tennis memorabilia, program, and book collector.