USA Table Tennis
World Championships and ITTF Meetings in Rotterdam
Just returned from Rotterdam and wanted to update the membership on several important events that took place while we were there.
1. The ITTF announced the nominations to various Committees, Commission and Working Groups.
USATT achieved the following results:
Tim Boggan – Full Member – Media Committee
Olga Kahan – Full Member – Veterans Committee
Dr. Azmy Ibrahim – Full Member – Rules Committee
Linda Hsing – Full Member – Technical Committee
Dennis Davis – Full Member – Junior Commission
Congratulations to all!
2. Ashu Jain was appointed to the ITTF Athlete Commission. This is a 10 person commission where five athletes were elected by athletes taking part in the current World Championships and the remaining five athletes who are active or retired but former players having taken part in at least one World Championships, were appointed by the ITTF Executive Committee to ensure a fair balance in terms of continents and gender equity, etc. The results were:
Vladimir Samsonov – BLR
Se Hyuk Joo – KOR
Jean-Michel Saive – BEL
Krisztina Toth – HUN
Alfredo Carneros – ESP
William Henzell – AUS – appointed
Ashu Jain – USA – appointed
Jose Miguel Ramirez – GUA – appointed
Offiong Edem – NGR – appointed
Li Qin Wang – CHN – appointed
The above group will meet to determine who their Chairperson will be for the next term.
Congratulations to Ashu on this wonderful opportunity!
3. Danny Seemiller and David Sakai presented a thorough bid to host the 2014 World Veterans Championships in Las Vegas. We were told that they presented very well by our friends from Australia who were also bidding. The bid however was awarded to New Zealand. Danny and David were very disappointed as you can imagine. Everyone within USATT should be very proud of the effort made by Danny Seemiller and David Sakai in this bidding effort as they were professional in every aspect of the process and remain favored sons of USATT.
4. At the Annual General Meeting of the ITTF a special ceremony took place that involved the President of the Peach and Sport, Mr. Joel Bouzou, the President of the ITTF, Adham Sharara and the President of the Qatar Table Tennis Association, Kahlil Al-Mohannadi. They signed an agreement to stage the inaugural Peace and Sport Cup in Doha, Qatar, November 21-22, 2011. The invited nations include: DPR Korea, Korea Republic, Japan, China, Russia, USA, India, Pakistan, Iran and Qatar. More details are forthcoming but at the moment participating athletes will be made up of one male and female athlete per nation.
5. Linda Hsing and Dr. Azmy Ibrahim presented an eligibility rule change to the ITTF Board of Directors that would have clarified the time of waiting for an athlete that immigrates from another country. While this proposed change had merit, it was general felt that it would be very difficult to implement given the variety of immigration rules that apply within member nations. The proposal was defeated at the Board of Directors meeting.
6. The ITTF reports that they now have 215 member national associations that ranks them 2nd behind only Volleyball who claims 221 national association members. ITTF is ranked in the top one third in Olympic Sports based upon a wide range of criteria.