2011 William E. Simon Endowment for Support of Athletes
The USOC is accepting grant applications, via an online system, for the William E. Simon Olympic Endowment for the Support of Athletes. Information and instructions to access the online application are attached to this email. The deadline for completing the application process is 5:00 p.m. Mountain Time, October 3, 2011.
Past USOC President William E. Simon, Sr. established the endowment in 1998 with a $1 million gift. Grants distributed from endowment earnings are to be used for training and competition expenses. Preference will be given to athletes not already receiving financial support from either the USOC or NGB.
General eligibility requirements
- U.S. citizenship and eligible/intends to compete for the U.S.
- Currently in training and competition
- Demonstrated financial need in order to continue training
- Athlete must write a donor acknowledgement letter
- Athlete agrees to complete a progress report summarizing training and competition during the grant year
- Athlete understands that awards will be paid in two installments
We suggest that directors target athletes in particularly merit worthy situations—hardship cases in which an athlete cannot pay his or her insurance premium, for example—and recommend these athletes apply for a grant. Please email the identified athletes the attached fact sheet
which contains complete instructions.
Applications are processed by Sport Performance; however, number of awards, recipients, and size of grants are determined by the endowment’s Board of Trustees. We expect to announce the board’s decisions in late January 2012.
Please contact your Sport Performance Manager or email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
, and thank you for assisting us in distributing this information.