When there is a foundation membership and the club is meeting regularly, each member should be inspired to attract new members. When that potential member comes to the meeting, make him feel comfortable. Pay attention to him. Don't be too pushy but see to it that he has an opportunity to get in on the action.
Another nice touch for the guest and new member is a club fact sheet. It should include:
- A list of current members, addresses, and phone numbers
- A short history of the club
- Regular meeting times
- Copy of the bylaws, if any (see Sample USATT Club Bylaws)
- Dues and any special fees
- List of events for the upcoming year
In addition to the fact sheet, you may consider having membership certificates to present to new members.
The club president and secretary should be keeping a membership file. A simple method is to use a 3" x 5" index card, or you may want to use a computer data base. The information which should be included is the member's name, address, phone number, date he joined, and birthday.
Some additional thoughts on new members:
- Call to remind them of the meeting.
- In some cases, you might offer transportation.
- Be certain he/she is introduced to other club members. Let him/her know that he/she is an important asset to the club.
- Get his/her name into some of the club's activity stories in a club newsletter or the city paper.
- After he/she has been to a few meetings, put him/her to work on a committee or project.
Remember - developing membership is an ongoing activity: "The road to success is always under construction."