US Junior National Synchronized Swimming Team announced
INDIANAPOLIS – The 2012 U.S. Junior National Synchronized Swimming Team and two other national teams were announced Sunday at the 2012 Age Group and Junior National Team Trials in Santa Clara, Calif.
The U.S. Junior National Team will compete at the 13th World Junior Synchronized Swimming Championships in Volos, Greece, September 12-15.
The swimmers earning a spot on the 2012 U.S. Junior National Team are:
• Emma Baranski (Hamden, Conn.)
• Claire Barton (Los Gatos, Calif.)
• Morgan Boneberg (Clayton, Calif.)
• Karina Boyle (Walnut Creek, Calif.)
• Lorraine Hack (Seattle, Wash.)
• Alyson Haylor (Las Vegas, Nev./Walnut Creek, Calif.)
• Jamie Kuchan (Mesa, Ariz.)
• Rebecca Moody (San Jose, Calif.)
• Sandra Ortellado (Walnut Creek, Calif.)
• Kaitlin Staines (Fair Oaks, Calif.)
• Marisa Tashima (Lafayette, Calif.)
• Alexa Tchekmarev (Detroit, Mich./Walnut Creek, Calif.)
The team will be coached by Tammy McGregor, a 1996 gold medalist and 2000 Olympian for Team USA and coach of the 2008 U.S. Olympic team. Full-time training begins June 11 at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, Calif.
“The coaching staff is excited to have such a strong group of athletes,” McGregor said. “What is good about this group is that they are strong in figures and in their routines, which is very important on the junior level. They have got a very good balance of the two.”
The 2012 U.S. 13-15 and the 12-and-Under National Teams were also named Sunday.
The swimmers earning a spot on the 2012 U.S. 13-15 National Team are Elle Billman, Gillian Brassil, Dana Drury, Olivia Ekberg, Natalie Fletcher, Catalina Nedelcu, Ayla Stallworth, Deborah Sun, Claire Wang, Elizabeth Wiita and Arina Yu. Elizabeth Atencio was named an alternate.
The swimmers earning a spot on the 2012 U.S. 12 & Under National Team are Margaret Bischel, Lilly Cao, Camryn Carrasco, Nicole Dzurko, Claire Hyon, Ava Lichter, Aivan Nguyen, Anna Piskun, Linda Schroeder, Julia St. John and Haley Watson. Michaela Neal and Audrey Nguyen were named alternates.
“I am very excited to coach the 2012 12-and-Under USA National Team this summer,” head coach Jill Wright said. “Their efforts at trials proved they will be a hard working group of young athletes.”