Super Slow Pitch Championship Returns
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America/USA Softball is proud to announce in 2014 the NEW ASA/USA Men’s Super Slow Pitch Championship Series. A series of participating tournaments that culminate with a single National Championship event in the fall, the Men’s Super Slow Pitch Championship Series will crown the National Champion with $25,000, the 2nd place team with $15,000 and the 3rd place team with $10,000.
“We are thrilled to be welcoming back the Super Championship division to our National Championship platform,” said ASA/USA Softball Executive Director Craig Cress. “We have received feedback from many players and sponsors from the past and present and feel it is time to bring back a championship without restrictions. The Super division was a integral part of the history of ASA and we are proud to introduce it to a new generation. We are very fortunate that we have a sponsor who believes in our program and is willing to be so generous in supporting this Series.”
The ASA/USA Men’s Super Slow pitch program saw its last National Champion in 2003 and following last year’s invitational event in Minnesota, the ASA/USA Council voted to bring the program back to National Championship status.
The Super Division is an open-roster event which differs from the Men’s Class A, currently the highest level of Championship Play where each team can have no more than three players on the ASA restricted slow pitch players list. On a Super Championship roster, each team can have as many restricted players as they so choose.
The ASA/USA Super Slow Pitch Series format and entry qualifications are the following:
- Teams must play in three or more events (listed below) to qualify for Super Nationals in August
- Participating A and B teams will receive a berth into their classes National Championship in Oklahoma City by participating in any event
- Teams will be seeded into the Super National Championship based on points
- Each event will be a three-game guarantee
- Deadline for Series Teams to enter is two weeks prior to each event; other teams will be placed on waiting list until that deadline.
The following events are officially recognized and certified as “ASA/USA Super Slow Pitch Series” tournaments.
- Combat Capital City Classic: Oklahoma City, Okla. - April 12-13
- Perris, Calif. – May 3-4
- Corky's Early Bird Classic: Owatonna, Minn. – May 3-5
- Dallas, Texas – May 9-11
- The Twitty: Nashville, Tenn. – May 16-17
- Kansas City, Mo. – May 31-June 1
- Best of the Northwest: Portland, Ore. – June 6-8
- Las Vegas, Nev. – June 21-22
- The McQuade: Bismarck, N.D. – June 27-29
- SUPER SLOW PITCH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Ft. Worth, Texas – August 22-23
NOTE: Additional events may be added.
For more information, contact Rich Cress at the ASA National Office – email@example.com
The Amateur Softball Association, founded in 1933, is the National Governing Body of softball in the United States and a member of the United States Olympic Committee. The ASA has become one of the nation’s largest sports organizations and now sanctions competition in every state through a network of 76 local associations. The ASA has grown from a few hundred teams in the early days to over 200,000 teams today, representing a membership of more than three million. For more information on the ASA, visit http://www.asasoftball.com/.
About USA Softball
USA Softball is the brand created, operated and owned by the ASA that links the USA Men’s, Women’s, Junior Boys’ and Junior Girls’ National Team programs together. USA Softball is responsible for training, equipping and promoting these four National Teams to compete in international and domestic competitions. The USA Softball Women’s National Team is one of only two women’s sports involved in the Olympic movement to capture three consecutive gold medals at the Olympic Games since 1996. The U.S. women have also won nine World Championship titles as well as claimed six World Cup of Softball titles. For more information about USA Softball, please visit http://www.usasoftball.com/.