USA Roller Sports
- Coaching and Coaching Certification Levels
- Coaching Program Information
- Elite Coaches Listing
- Background Checks
- Speed Skating Coaches Regional Representative
- USARS Speed Skating Program Change Process
- USOC Coaching Ethics Code
- World Speed Team Apprentice Coach
- World Speed Team Apprentice Manager
- Star Patch Program
- Olympic Coach E-Magazine
Coaches are encouraged to join the USA Roller Sports Coaching Program, a service that involves a variety of education and certification levels. Coaches benefit from knowing that they have the resources to be the best in their field. Skaters are certain to receive the very best training, while rink operators enjoy the benefit of having a fully-qualified professional taking charge of the competitive program, and work to send skaters on to regional and nation championships.
Benefits of the program include: training programs and continuing coach's education; $25,000 accident/injury insurance, while coaching in a registered USA Roller Sports club facility or a sanctioned competition; and free liability insurance, while coaching in a registered seminar. It also provides coaches recognition by the United States Olympic Committee, eligibility for commissions as an official without additional fees, and eligibility to be a club officer in any discipline.
Registered USA Roller Sports coaches are also provided free of charge National Governing Body technical manuals, including distribution of General Rules and appropriate discipline teaching manuals, recognition pins for championship achievement and a subscription to the official USA Roller Sports Magazine.
"Why should I go through a program this involved. At best, I'm a weekend coach."
"This sounds like a lot of work. I don't have time to keep this up."
"What are you giving me for my money."
These are common questions and comments which you may alreasy be thinking when you consider coaching certification. Consider these facts:
- Knowledge is Power. The certified coach is better informed, better qualified and more self-confident in their abilities than one who is not certified. the certified coach gets more out of their athletes because the athletes get more out of their sport.
- The information is proven effective and easy to understand. The home study format structures the program around your schedule and the open book testing at the Certified Level helps you achieve your goal at your own pace.
- Plug into the continuous information pipeline of U.S. Roller Skating magazine, Roller Skating Coach newsletter, updated USA Roller Sports General Rules and appropriate technical manuals. All free of charge.
Anyone can take out a USA Roller Sports coaches membership, provided they are over 18 years of age. No other affiliation, membership or tenure is required, including affiliation with a USA Roller Sports club. USA Roller Sport club members do receive additional benefits, including insurance.
- One Discipline (Artistic only, Speed only, Hockey only): $70 / Season
- Two Disciplines (Two from list above): $120 / Season
- Three Disciplines (All three of the above): $130 / Season
Registrations are renewable January 1st each year.
- Full USA Roller Sport membership of the appropriate class for designated discipline.
- Subscription to U.S. Roller Skating and Roller Skating Coach.
- Coaching recognitionby a U.S. Olympic Committee National Governing Body.
- Free General Rules, appropriate technical manuals and subsequent updates.
- Eligible to commission as competition official/club officer without additional fees.
- Recognition awards for championship achievement.
- $25,000 accident/injury insurance as governed by current guidelines.
- New coaches are given the balance of their first season as a grace period, during which time they are afforded the opportunity to become certified as a USA Roller Sports - USOC Coach. These credentials are necessary to access restricted competitive areas at tournaments and contest.
- Seminars, training programs and other continuing coaches' education.
Coaching Services Department
In 1992, USA Roller Sports (USARS) implemented what we believe to bo an important and useful program for roller skating coaches participating in our competitions. USA Roller Sports Coaching Certification has already reached more than 2500 skating coaches nationwide and moved them through it's initial educational process.
Membership in this program is required of all competitive coaches-full-time,part-time, and volunteer-who wish access to restricted "coaches only" areas at important competitions across the country, including Regional and National events. "Coaches only" areas include skater ready areas, team boxes, pit areas and so on.
The 'Xs' below will be replaced with the proper discipline abbreviation (A- artistic, S- speed, H- hockey) depending on the type of membership that an individual is applying for. All forms pertaining to coaching are available under the Resources tab (forms).
COACHING CERTIFICATION LEVELS
XC-1 Registered Coach:
Applicant must meet basic USARS membership requirements and submit XC-1 Registered Coach's application and fees to the USARS national office. The USARS national office will send the applicant a basic coaching skills study guide and test. The test is open-book and must be returned to the national office for evaluation. Only after passing the basic coaching skills test will the applicant be issued an XC-1 Registered Coach's card. The XC-1 Registered Coach's card is valid for one year and requires a basic coaching skills test be completed satisfactorily for renewal. The basic coaching skills test requirement for renewal will be waived if the XC-1 Registered Coach produced a national champion or two podium placements the previous year or attends an authorized USARS coach's conference.
XC-2 Certified Coach:
Applicant must meet basic USARS membership requirements, have held a XC-1 Registered Coach's Card for one year and submit the XC-2 Certified Coach's application and fees to the USARS national office. The USARS national office will send the applicant a certified coaching skills study guide and test. The test is open-book and must be returned to the national office for evaluation. Only after passing the certified coaching skills test will the applicant be issued an XC-2 Certified Coach's card. The XC-2 Certified Coach's card is valid for one year and requires a certified coaching skills test be completed satisfactorily for renewal every second year. The certified coaching skills test requirement for renewal will be waived if the XC-2 Certified Coach produced a national champion or two podium placements during the previous two years or attends an authorized USARS coach's conference.
XC-3 Advanced Coach:
Applicant must meet basic USARS membership requirements, have held a XC-2 Certified Coach's Card for two years and submit XC-3 Advanced Coach's application and fees to the USARS national office. The USARS national office will send the applicant an advanced coaching skills study guide. Advanced Coach's testing may be conducted at an authorized USARS coach's conference or the national championships, applicants will be notified of the time and place. The test is open-book and must be proctored by an approved USARS official. Only after passing the advanced coaching skills test will the applicant be issued an XC-3 Advanced Coach's card. The XC-3 Advanced Coach's card is valid for one year and requires an advanced coaching skills test be completed satisfactorily for renewal every four years. The advanced coaching skills test requirement for renewal will be waived if the XC-3 Advanced Coach produced a national champion or two podium placements during the previous four years or attends an authorized USARS coach's conference.
XC-4 Elite Coach:
To become an elite coach an application must be submitted to the elite coaches’ committee for their approval. The application asks for a list of the coaches' accomplishments and contributions to the sport. Once Elite status has been awarded, membership must be renewed each year as an active coach; however, the Elite status has no expiration date and no further testing is required.
COACHES CREDENTIAL EXTENSION
Judges, Skaters, & Coaches Figure Conference -
The USA Roller Sports Congress and Expo is a great way to enhance one's artistic skating, judging, and coaching knowledge. At the conference educational seminars are given on a variety of topics of interest to coaches. These topics can include Sports Science, Nutrition, and Sports Psychology, as well as any new coaching techniques and discipline specific skating demonstrations and discussion of new requirements and rules. Attendance at the conference may extend an individual's Registered, Certified, or Advanced status for 3 years.
Coaches Clinics/Conferences -
Coaches that assist with or host a clinic, or attend an approved coach's conference over the course of the season may have their certification credentials extended for 1 year. All individuals must have this approved by USARS before extension will be granted. These events can not be used to upgrade to the next coaching level.
World Championships -
If approved, attending Worlds may extend a coach's credentials for 1 year.
It is your responsibility as a USARS coach to submit the coaching credentials extension application to the USARS national office when and if you attend or participate in any conferences, clinics, or world championships. If you coached a national champion or at least 2 podium placements, you must also submit the form to the USARS national office for verification.
Coaching Membership and Certification Questions:
Roller Derby- AJ Epp firstname.lastname@example.org Ext. 11
Figure Coaches & Officials- Figure Director email@example.com Ext. 12
Speed Coaches & Officials- Ricci Porter firstname.lastname@example.org Ext. 14