A major role of each state affiliate is to coordinate a balanced tournament schedule of sanctioned events in their respective states. Only the state president or respective state sanctioning chairman can sanction events at the state level. Clubs, tournament directors and racquetball programmers interested in hosting a sanctioned event must contact their state association to sanction their events through USA Racquetball. Click here for a list of state contacts.
The cost to sanction a standard tournament is $75. The cost to sanction a one day shootout is $35.
Sanctioning Your Event – Step by Step – Start to finish
First you must request to be a tournament director through your member profile. Also, highly recommended is contacting the state director to let them know you are interested in running a tournament. Different states have different criteria so knowing and understanding those will go a long way in having a successful event. Upon approval of your tournament director request, you can then set up your director control and start the sanctioning process.
The state president or sanctioning chairman can log onto the tournament scheduler to list their sanctioned event a minimum of 21 days prior to the first day of the tournament. Only an authorized member of a state association may approve requests for event sanctioning.
Through your member profile, select events>>sanction event for self. Complete all the required information (dates, city, etc.) for the initial request. The state commissioner/sanctioning coordinator will then approve the event. After event approval, payment will be required to complete the initial sanctioning.
Once payment is complete, the event will be ready to activate (different than setup). A green box will show up in your membership profile as well as an email sent to you. Click on the link in the green box to set up the name, venue information, and login information for this event. [NOTE: The login information will always remain in your director control panel.]
Immediately upon activation and setup of your event, you will be able to manage the following Online benefits and services:
- Verify that all players are members
- Rank all players for seeding
- Access ranking/competition history of all players
- Utilize the National Tournament
At the close of the event the following requirements must be fulfilled in the allotted time frame to receive the full refund:
- Submit event memberships with required payment – mail or online within 14 calendar days
- Submit event match results - online only within 30 calendar days
- To submit results, all members must be current.
- It is done through the event by going to the “setup” tab and selecting “activate results” (they should be on first). There should be a link that says “submit results to USA Racquetball”. Click on this link, and the results will then be submitted to USAR and be queued for rankings.
If you elect to mail the match results in to USA Racquetball for a national staff member to enter, an additional $100 fee must be paid to USAR to input results.
Special Provisions & Processing Requirements
- Completed tournament draw sheets for each division and a tournament roster of names are required to process the official results into the ranking system if you are mailing them into the national office.
- Tournament rosters & results containing the names of expired or non-members cannot be entered and will be returned to the state association or event director for follow-up membership processing and collection of payment.
- All event cancellations must be done prior to the start date.
Sanctioned Tournament Kits
Each event that receives approval for sanctioning can order any of the items of their choice 21 or more days prior to the event:
- Issues of RACQUETBALL Magazine
- Membership applications
- List of approved eye guards
- Incident Forms
- Safety Guidelines
Email Joe Williams at email@example.com to place your order.
Upon approval of the sanctioning form, the national office will provide the tournament director with the following:
- Online access to the membership database for download of mailing labels for states in your region;
- Online exclusive tournament manager to build your roster of participants, capture members into the roster, schedule your event, and submit results electronically;
- Online verification of membership status of event participants;
- Online submission of new and renewing memberships on a secure server;
- Online search capability for obtaining state rankings by division to assist with tournament seeding;
- $5,000,000 General Aggregate per event liability coverage;
- Secondary accident medical insurance for all current licensed members;
- With sufficient advance notice the sanctioned event will be listed in the tournament calendar of RACQUETBALL Magazine – observe deadlines listed in each issue of the magazine;
- The sanctioned event will be listed in the Online tournament scheduler;
- Weekend exclusivity as defined by the state association;
- Assistance and support from the state association;
- Opportunity for players to earn state, regional, and national ranking positions;
Important Note: All new and renewing members should be informed that a portion of their membership fee remains with the state association to assist with promotional efforts aimed at competitive, recreational, and beginning players alike.
Event Scheduling Tips & Planning
- The state association serves as the sanctioning body for all events held in their state, including regional and master’s events. National Associations may apply for sanctioning through the USAR but all efforts will be made to coordinate all events through the state association.
- The event will be of high quality and uphold standards as set forth by the state association and national governing body.
- Identify the events for the calendar year that have requested sanctioning in advance.
- Coordinate with club tournament directors to set available weekends and schedule events accordingly.
- As a state association, you may only request sanctioning for events that will be hosted and held in your state.
- Assure that all USAR rules and sanctioning guidelines, as established by your state, will be adhered to and followed.
All participants in a USAR sanctioned event must be current members of USA Racquetball. To avoid confusion, only a valid membership card, membership confirmation, or bona-fide receipt of membership is valid for proof of membership. There are no "one time" waivers, reduced fees, or special promotions that substitute for a full dues paying member.