John LoMonaco Memorial Grant
John LoMonaco passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at the age of 57. He collapsed in the locker room of the Spectrum Club in Canoga Park, just after winning his last game against Kevin Barlia. John played three or four times a week and had many wins to his credit, including several NMRA medals and a 55-A championship in 2007 at the USA Racquetball National Singles in Houston. He lived in West Hills, California, near the club, and ran his own fire safety and inspection business.
In memory of John, an anonymous friend has established a grant for an all expenses paid trip to the USA Racquetball National Singles Championships in Fullerton, California, May 15-19, 2013.
The recipient of the John LoMonaco Memorial Grant:
- May be male or female and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- May not have previously competed in the USAR National Singles Championships.
- Will submit an application and write an essay no longer than 500 words expressing why he/she wants to attend and compete in the National Singles Championships in 2013.
- Will sign a USA Racquetball liability waiver as well as a release for use of his/her likeness in publications at USA Racquetball’s discretion.
- Will write an article describing his/her experiences as a first-time National Singles player for possible publication in the USA Racquetball eNewsletter and/or Racquetball magazine. (Note: an editor will be available to assist with this article)
- Will provide USA Racquetball with a planned travel itinerary for review and approval.
Covered expenses will be: entry fee (two divisions), meals, five nights’ lodging at one of the host hotels, coach airfare, ground transportation, and a VIP pass. The recipient will submit receipts to USA Racquetball for reimbursement not to exceed $2,000. Any companion costs will be at the expense of the recipient or his/her companion.
The essay and application become the property of USA Racquetball and will not be returned. The Executive Committee of the USAR Board, along with the anonymous donor, will make the final determination as to who will receive the grant.
The application form can be found on the USA Racquetball web site, www.usaracquetball.com. Send your completed form and essay to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submission is February 28, 2013, with the recipient announcement on or before March 31, 2013.
Download the John LoMonaco Grant Application (Adobe PDF)