USA Pentathlon POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
POSITION TITLE: Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director
SUMMARY: As the leader of USA Pentathlon, the CEO/ED will work with the board of directors to develop, implement and oversee the policies, strategic goals and objectives of the organization. The CEO/ED will provide daily direction and leadership of the staff in executing the organization's mission, vision, strategic plan and its annual objectives through the successful day to day management of the administration. In addition, the CEO/ED will work with the board of directors of USA Pentathlon to fulfill their responsibilities in the governance of the sport of modern pentathlon in accordance with the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supports operations and administration of the board by providing reports and minutes of meetings, advising and informing board members on all relevant matters of USAP and interfacing between the board and staff regarding organizational policy.
- Responsible for all fundraising. The successful candidate will develop and execute a realistic development plan with attainable benchmarks. Manage key sponsor relations, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals, achieving results and managing sponsor deliverables.
- Oversees design, marketing, promotion and execution of association's programs, plans and services to all stakeholders, to include the athletes, staff, membership, USOC, UIPM, sponsors and supporters. The successful candidate will possess superior abilities to initiate, write, implement and manage short and long-term business plans, a strategic plan and high performance plans while creating relevant stakeholder approval and buy-in.
- Will work with the treasurer to recommend the annual budget for board approval and prudently manage the organization's resources within those budget guidelines. Establish a quadrennial pro forma budget as a planning and measurement tool.
- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization and must possess strong ability to effectively delegate duties while maintaining responsibility for results. Must possess an ability to effectively mediate disputes between stakeholders, athletes and coaching staff when required.
- Assures USA Pentathlon and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented and communicated in a strong positive image to the public and members.
- Possess event management skills to include general management (from site ID to post event wrap-up) of competitions, events and meetings to include fund-raisers and training camps.
- Ensures effective communications from the organization to all stakeholders, teams, athletes, coaches, membership, USOC and external partners are performed in a timely and effective manner including performance plans (annual and quadrennial or as directed by the board), selection plans, certification requirements and reports, publications, board minutes, and similar documents.
- Effectively manages the growth of USA Pentathlon through developing and supervising a national youth development plan and promoting membership thru regional clubs and associations.
DESIRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Maintains highest ethical values.
- Decision-maker who always acts with the highest degree of integrity
- Collaborative style.
- Belief in partnering and sharing information with staff, volunteers, governing board and outside supporters.
- High level of accountability.
- Drives for results, displays high energy and a sense of ownership and is passionate about the sport of Pentathlon, athletes, staff, developing programs, the Olympic movement and attaining goals.
- Ability to manage, acknowledge and develop people, delegate and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to generate enthusiasm amongst stakeholders to ensure participation in programs.
- Ability and willingness to communicate both good and bad news in a straightforward manner.
- Ability to see and appreciate the humor of challenging situations.
The US Olympic Committee is establishing the new NGB for the sport of Modern Pentathlon. A board of directors has been selected and is actively seeking to fill the role of USA Pentathlon CEO/ED. The successful candidate for the position of the first CEO/ED of the new NGB will have the unique opportunity to work with the board in creating the standard for this position. The CEO/ED position is fluid in that the priorities of the CEO/ED will change as the NGB develops. Clearly, the ability to successfully fund-raise 50% or more of the organizational budget will be a very important job responsibility and a major part of the evaluation process. In addition, special emphasis must be given to NGB development, in particular, youth development programs and re-establishing NGB membership.
- Office and business environment, negotiable.
- USA domestic and international travel will be required.
- Non-traditional work hours including weekends and holidays.
- Basic compensation comparable with similar sized, NGB CEO/ED levels with generous, incentive- based, fund-raising performance benefits.
- Bachelor's degree and/or relevant experience .
- Demonstrated leadership skills, creative thinker and innovator.
- Proven ability to develop and exploit new sources of revenue.
- Demonstrated experience in managing organizational growth and change.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills for work with the Board of Directors, volunteers and membership, including athletes, coaches and parents, as well as partner organizations and sponsors, and in support of marketing and fund-raising activities.
- Experience in recruitment and development of high quality staff.
- Demonstrated excellence in development and reporting of financial information.
- Skilled facilitator with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Strong strategic planning and problem-solving skills with MS Office proficiency
POSITION REPORTS TO: USAP Board of Directors
Please send resumes to:
USA Pentathlon Board of Directors
attn: William Stettinius
1001 Harris Mill Road
Parkton, MD 21120
410 357 0842 Fax
Deadline for resume submission: Resumes accepted now through February 28, 2009
Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, handicap, or veteran status. All qualified applicants will be given equal opportunity. Selection decisions are based on job-related factors.