USA Wins Team Bronze in Men's Open, David Volyn Wins Silver in Junior Division at the Maccabiah Games
(Colorado Springs, Colo.) - David Volyn (Flemington, N.J. / Liberty Bell Judo) won a silver medal in the junior division of the Macciabiah Games in Tel Aviv, Israel on July 20.
Sixteen-year-old Volyn won his first two matches in the 55kg category by ippon (instant win), but lost a close final to Guilherme Koji Minakawa (BRA) by a yuko (quarter point) score.
Max Bermont and Andrew Varga, both of the Menomonee Judo Club in Chicago, both placed fifth.
Ben Feiger, also of the Menomonee Judo Club, went 0-2 and did not advance to the medal rounds.
The United States had seven athletes compete in the men's team event where Team USA won a bronze medal, posting a win against Argentina and losses to Israel and Russia.
Members of the team included:
- Lindsey Durlacher (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Adam Moyerman (Philadelphia, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)
- Eugene Edyleman
- Kevin Toll (Havertown, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)
- Aaron Cohen (Buffalo Grove, Ill. / Cohen's Judo)
- Barry Friedberg (Brooklyn, N.Y. / NYAC)
- Anatoliy Kenis (Holland, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)