- USA Judo
- USA Wins Team Bronze in Men's Open, David Volyn Wins Silver in Junior Division at the Maccabiah Games
USA Wins Team Bronze in Men's Open, David Volyn Wins Silver in Junior Division at the Maccabiah Games
(Colorado Springs, Colo.) - David Volyn (Flemington, N.J. / Liberty Bell Judo) won a silver medal in the junior division of the Macciabiah Games in Tel Aviv, Israel on July 20.
Sixteen-year-old Volyn won his first two matches in the 55kg category by ippon (instant win), but lost a close final to Guilherme Koji Minakawa (BRA) by a yuko (quarter point) score.
Max Bermont and Andrew Varga, both of the Menomonee Judo Club in Chicago, both placed fifth.
Ben Feiger, also of the Menomonee Judo Club, went 0-2 and did not advance to the medal rounds.
The United States had seven athletes compete in the men's team event where Team USA won a bronze medal, posting a win against Argentina and losses to Israel and Russia.
Members of the team included:
- Lindsey Durlacher (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Adam Moyerman (Philadelphia, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)
- Eugene Edyleman
- Kevin Toll (Havertown, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)
- Aaron Cohen (Buffalo Grove, Ill. / Cohen's Judo)
- Barry Friedberg (Brooklyn, N.Y. / NYAC)
- Anatoliy Kenis (Holland, Pa. / Liberty Bell Judo)