Competition Opportunities - Seniors
International Performance Incentive Program
Athlete International A-Level Performance Incentive - Grand Slam Events
Continental Opens* / Grand Prix Events/ Pan American Championships Performance Incentive
In order to be eligible, all athletes must win a minimum of three matches, no byes, no walkovers.
* Only medals earned at non-Pan American Continental Opens will be eligible for rewards as outlined above, unless mutually agreed upon between USA Judo and the USOC.
2015 USA Judo International Tournament Criteria/Policies
Effective: January 1, 2015
2016 Olympic Qualification
According to the International Judo Federation (IJF) Direct Qualification system
For each of the seven (7) weight categories, the first 22 athletes ranked on the IJF
World Ranking List of 30 May 2016 will be directly qualified, with a maximum of one (1)
athlete per NOC per weight category.
For each of the seven (7) weight categories, the first 14 athletes ranked on the
IJF World Ranking List of 30 May 2016 will be directly qualified, with a maximum of one
(1) athlete per NOC per weight category.
If an NOC has more than one (1) male athlete ranked in the top 22 of the World Ranking
List of 30 May 2016 and/or more than one (1) female athlete ranked in the top 14 of the
World Ranking List of 30 May 2016, the NOC can decide which of these athletes will
receive the quota place.
Athletes with the highest number of points on the Continental Ranking List will qualify according to the Continental quota.
The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) has approved the selection procedures for nominating the athletes and the team officials for the 2016 US Olympic Judo Team. Download the procedures by clicking the appropriate button below:
An additional 100 athletes will be directly qualified as per the IJF World Ranking List of 30 May 2016
based on continental representation and according to the following procedure:
For each continent and based on the IJF World Ranking List of 30 May 2016, a
Continental Ranking List will be created listing all the athletes from that continent
across all weight categories and genders according to their World Ranking points.
2015 Pan American Games
Please download and review the document below for the 2015 Pan American Games Qualification System:
2015 USA Grand Prix
For the 2015 Grand Prix, each weight division will be allowed a maximum of four athletes in any given weight division.
The slots for each weight division will be allocated according to the schedule below:
(The ranking list(s) utilized will be active ranking lists 45 days prior to the event.)
- The highest ranking athletes on the World Ranking List (WRL) will be selected to the 2015 USA Pan American Open.
- In the event that there are available slots after allocating the athletes with the most points on the IJF World Ranking List (found at www.ijf.org), the remaining slots will be allocated to the highest ranking athletes on the National Ranking Rosters during the time period listed above who have not already been selected to the team.
2015 World Team
As of 6/30/2015 the 9 highest ranking athletes for men and 9 highest ranking athletes for women on the World Ranking List (WRL) will be selected to the World Championship Team with a maximum of 2 athletes per category. In the event that a division has already been filled with 2 athletes, all other athletes in that division will be removed from the list and the next person on the WRL will be selected to the team if their weight class has unfilled slots until all 9 slots are filled for both men and women.
2015 Pan American Championships Team
For 2015, each nation will be allowed to send one athlete per weight division plus two additional men and two additional women with a maximum of two athletes in any given weight division.
Team USA will include athletes from the following divisions for the Pan American Championships: Women's 44kg, 48kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 70kg, 78kg and +78kg weight divisions and Men's 55kg, 60kg, 66kg, 73kg, 81kg, 90kg, 100kg and +100kg weight divisions.
Athletes will be named to the team via one of two scenarios:
- The athlete in each weight division who has the MOST points, earned as of 3/23/2015, on the IJF World Ranking List will be named to the team. For reference, the IJF World Ranking List can be found at www.ijf.org.
- The remaining two men's and women's slots will be allocated to the athletes with the most points on the IJF World Ranking List (found at www.ijf.org) during the time period listed above who have not already been selected to the team. In the event that the two men or women with the highest point totals who have not been previously named to the team and are ranked in the same weight division, the athlete with the most points will be selected. The second slot will then be allocated to the athlete with the next highest point total who is not in a weight division with two athletes who have already been selected.
Athletes must meet one of the following Criteria to be allowed to qualify to participate in the following International Competitions
As of March 1st, 2015 Athletes must be on the current Elite Team Roster to qualify for Continental Opens.
Grand Prix or Grand Slam
- Must have finished in top 5 at the Pan Am Championships or Continental Open
- Must have been a member of the previous World Team
- Finished top 5 in one of the past two Jr. Worlds
No personal coaches will be allowed to coach at Pan Am Games, Pan Am Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games or World Masters
Personal Training Partners
No personal training partners are allowed to attend any international event as a Staff member or a Team Member
(10 points suspension)
Point System for rules on Team Trips
1 point – not wearing USA Judo shirt / provided team apparel
1 point - absent for team support day of competition
2 points - late for practice
3 points - missed practice
Any combination of the above violations that total 10 points will result in the following suspensions
- 1st offense - 3 month suspension
- 2nd offense - 6 month suspension
- 3rd offense - 1 year suspension
Automatic 3 month suspension and reimbursement of any expenses incurred by USA Judo