WNC Crossovers Set Stage for Tomorrow's Championship Matches

June 20, 2014, 4:19 p.m. (ET)

WNC Crossovers Set Stage for Tomorrow’s Championship Matches

LANCASTER, Pa. – June 20, 2014 – After a day of rest, squads at the 2014 Women’s National Championship resumed competition in a round of crossover play. Today’s matches set the stage for tomorrow’s final games. Coming into the matches, Pool B’s Freedom sat atop the leaderboard with a total of nine points and 13 goals while Pool A’s U21 team was close behind with seven points and 10 goals.

The Patriots and White took to the pitch for the first match up of the day. The Patriot’s Katie Gerzabek(Springfield, Pa.) opened up the playing field first with a goal in the 16th minute. Five minutes later, a frenzy in front of White’s cage yielded a Patriot corner. Gerzbek stepped up to the sweet spot on the pitch and notched another tally for the Patriots. Not to go down easily, White’s Casey Di Nardo (Virginia Beach Va.) found the back of the net at the 30 minute mark to make the score 2-1 heading into halftime. With much back and forth play in the second half, White was unable to even the score and the Patriots took home 2-1 victory.

Courage and Red were the next teams onto the field. Red got off to a quick start, breaking onto the scoreboard in the 2nd minute off of a goal by Kim Young (Sydney, N.Y.). Both teams battled through the midfield for the remainder of the first half, going into the break 1-0 in favor of Red. Courage fought to even the score throughout the second half while Red looked for a cushion in the form of a second goal, but neither team was able to hit the backboards. The final whistle signaled a 1-0 Red victory over Courage.

U21 and the Eagles faced off for bragging rights and the chance to compete in the championship game. A tightly-contested first half saw much back and forth action throughout the entire game. Neither team was able to break through strong defensive lines and the halftime report read 0-0. The second half was much of the same play, with offensive attacks thwarted and many defensive saves. In the 67th minute, the Eagles made it onto the scoreboard when Megan Anstotz (Audubon, N.J) connected with the back of the net. U21 was unable to tie up the match and the Eagles earned the three points and a spot in tomorrow’s championship match.

Freedom and Blue finished up the day’s matches, fighting for a spot in the finals. Freedom’s Ali Ahern(Getzville, N.Y.) struck first in the 12th minute to put them up 1-0. Just two minutes later, Allison Evans(Macungie, Pa.) tallied another score for Freedom. At the 26 minute mark, Ahern notched another goal for Freedom to head into halftime 3-0. Blue came out fighting in the second half, making strong offensive runs into Freedom’s circle but were unable to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Caitlin Van Sickle(Wilmington, Del.) finished a penalty corner in the 66th minute to seal the score for Freedom and end the match 4-0. The victory sends Freedom into the championship match.