Men's Over-40 Masters Squad Secures Second Consecutive Victory

June 11, 2014, 1 p.m. (ET)

Men's Over-40 Masters Squad Secures Second Consecutive Victory
Fellow Team USA Masters Squads continue strong competition

The USA Men's Masters over-40 team secured their second consecutive victory with a 5-2 victory over Italy today. The Americans were led in scoring for the second consecutive game by 1996 Olympian Ahmed Elmagrabhy (Ledgewood, Ill.), who notched a hat trick for the second day in a row.

The Americans found themselves down on the sheet early as Italy flicked in the rebound of a short corner in the 6th minute. The USA responded with a field goal by Vernon Vassou (Arlington, Va.) eight minutes later after the Americans worked a passing combination up the center of the pitch.

The USA's game-winning goal came courtesy of Gus Reed (Shorewood, Wis), who converted a loose ball on a short corner in the 32nd minute after he developed an attack up the right side that the Americans turned into a penalty corner.

The Americans took control of the match as Elmaghraby scored three goals over a 20-minute span. His stick work in the front 25 allowed him to work the ball into the circle where he put the ball in the back of the net three times to give the USA a 5-1 lead. The Italians got one back in the 66th minute as they covered a penalty stroke after a short corner shot was stopped on the post by a USA foot. That goal was the first goal allowed in the second half by the USA all tournament, breaking a 171-minute shutout streak after the halftime break for the Americans.  The American defense again was strong as they only allowed only seven field shots on goal. Steve Wagner (Philadelphia, Pa.) was again up to the task, making six saves to bolster the USA defense.

The USA returns to action tomorrow as they face Wales at 11:00 in the final game of the tournament.

The Over-40 women lost a tight game to South Africa 2-0 after controlling the run of play, with RSA scoring on a breakaway to take the early lead. The Americans dominated the second half  and pulled their keeper to generate more offense, but the South Africans scored on an empty net for the final score if 2-0.