Level I Instructors help clubs build membership by introducing the sport to the public in a safe and enjoyable manner and by helping novice curlers improve their skills. Using proven knowledge and instructional techniques, Level I instructors help beginners learn the game at introductory curling events primarily within their own clubs. Activities of a Level I instructor may include, but are not limited to, organizing and promoting introductory curling events, on-ice and off-ice instruction for beginner/novice curlers, and assisting Level II instructors with intermediate skill development sessions.
- A minimum of two (2) years of curling experience is required for certification.
Less experienced curlers in emerging arena clubs may be afforded the opportunity to take the course during their first year as part of the club’s effort to develop consistency in training; however, certification will only be awarded after two years of curling experience.
- Complete a recognized first aid course (or provide proof of current first aid certification); this can be completed either through an online or in-person certification course.
- Read USA Curling SafeSport Handbook.
USA Curling Coursework:
- USA Curling Level I Instructor*; receive an evaluation of “satisfactory” or higher during on-ice teaching demonstration.
- Complete and document a minimum of five (5) hours of on-ice instruction at introductory curling events.
- Upon completion of the practical requirements, forward Level I application to USA Curling through mail or email to:
Attn: Development Associate
5525 Clem’s Way
Stevens Point, WI 54482
In some cases, Club Training and Education Coordinators (TECs) may also request copies of documents for their records. Please DO NOT rely on TECs to submit paperwork to the USCA. Always send a copy to the National Office directly.
Certification Maintenance Requirements:
- Stay current with the prescribed USA Curling Instructor program and complete refresher training (once developed).
- Document at least fifteen (15) hours of continuing involvement as an instructor at introductory curling events every three (3) years.
- Maintain first aid certification.