Field set for 2009 U.S. Senior Championships(STEVENS POINT, Wis.) - The 2009 USA Curling Senior National Championships will take place in February at two Wisconsin curling clubs.
First up is the 2009 U.S. Senior Women's Championship, Feb. 5-8, at the Blackhawk Curling Club in Janesville, Wis. Five teams will compete for the national title including several former champions. On the men's side, 15 teams are set to compete Feb. 11-15 at the Rice Lake Curling Club in Rice Lake, Wis. The winning teams will represent the U.S. at the 2009 World Senior Championships, April 24-May 3 in Dunedin, New Zealand.
Defending women's champions JoAnn Matthews (New Berlin, Wis.) and Susan Curtis (Rogers, Ark.) will team up this season with their former coach/fifth player and past senior champion Donna Purkey (Greenwich, Conn.) at the skip position. Joining the team at the lead position is Cindy Kortebein (Knoxville, Tenn.). David Russell (La Crosse, Wis.) will lead his 2008 senior national champions for another try at the world title after winning bronze at the 2008 World Seniors.
Here's a look at the competing field for the 2009 U.S. Senior National Championships:
* Team Pfiffner: Starlett Pfiffner (Madison, Wis.), Cynthia Godar (Oconomowoc, Wis.), Jennifer Stannard (Stamford, Conn.), Maureen Guay (Savage, Minn.)
* Team Purkey: Donna PUrkey (Greenwich, Conn.), JoAnn Matthews (New Berlin, Wis.), Susan Curtis (Rogers, Ark.), Cindy Kortebein (Knoxville, Tenn.)
* Team Stephens: Kelly Stephens (Omaha, Neb.), Joan Freeman (Toledo, Ohio), Nancy Wilhelm (Mukwonago, Wis.), Marie Claire Janiga (Beverly Hills, Mich.)
* Team Stolt: Roberta Stolt, Clarion Gilbertson, Carla Lynch, Jo Lippitt (all of Madison, Wis.)
* Team Vukich: Sharon Vukich (Seattle), Joan (Mary) Fish (Hansville, Wash.), Cathie Tomlinson (Seattle), Aija Edwards (Hansville, Wash.)
* Team Anderson: Larry Anderson (Rice Lake, Wis.), Don Drost (Cameron, Wis.), Stephen Schleppegrell (Rice Lake, Wis.), Robert Brunner (Rice Lake, Wis.)
* Team Arnold: Mark Arnold (St. Paul, Wis.), Merlin Orvik (Shoreview, Minn.), Mark Lusche (Washburn, Wis.), Keith Ostrosky (Mendota Heights, Minn.)
* Team DeVore: Philip DeVore (Superior, Wis.), Larry Sharp (Rice Lake, Wis.), Jeffrey Erickson (Proctor, Minn.), Bill Kind (Rice Lake, Wis.)
* Team Edie: Scott Edie (Middletown, Md.), Gert Messing (Hartsdale, N.Y.), Bill Peskoff (Glen Gardner, N.J.), Dave Palazzoli (Clinton, N.Y.)
* Team Ehlert: Walter Ehlert (Pardeeville, Wis.), Henry Hagenbuch (Utica, Ill.), Nathan Beer (Marseilles, Ill.), Randy Branton (Rio, Wis.), Sonny Villwock (Pardeeville, Wis.)
* Team Gibbs: Dale Gibbs (Woodbury, Minn.), Mike Staffaroni (Golden Valley, Minn.), William Raymond (St. Paul, Minn.), Mark Lokowich (Stillwater, Minn.), Timothy Doherty (St. Paul, Minn.)
* Team Graves: Stuart Graves (Pembroke, Mass.), Paul Sofuolis (Dover, Mass.), Daniel Dacey (Boston), Pete Rossetti (Framingham, Mass.)
* Team Jacobson: Dwayne Jacobson (Junction City, Wis.), Richard Maskel (Green Bay, Wis.), George Godfrey (Baraboo, Wis.), Walter Erbach (Madison, Wis.), Timothy Ebert (Fitchburg, Wis.)
* Team Jerylo: James Jerylo Sr. (East Bethel, Minn.), Lionel Locke (St. Paul, Minn.), John Eustice (Eagan, Minn.), Gary Papenfuss (Vadnais Heights, Minn.)
* Team Neidhart: Kenneth Neidhart (Lodi, Wis.), Paul Matzke (Sun Prairie, Wis.), Phil Boutwell (Janesville, Wis.), Rob Wixson (Madison, Wis.)
* Team Pustovar: Paul Pustovar (Hibbing, Minn.), Brian Simonson (Hibbing, Minn.), Thomas Harms (Pengilly, Minn.), Don Mohawk (Nashwauk, Minn.), John Kokotovich (Hibbing, Minn.)
* Team Rich: Leland Rich, William Gryder, David Miller, Oliver Mitman (all of Fairbanks, Alaska)
* Team Russell: David Russell (La Crosse, Wis.), Bill Rhyme (Green Bay, Wis.), Mark Swandby (Madison, Wis.), Dave Carlson (Portage, Wis.), Mike Fraboni (McFarland, Wis.)
* Team Sormunen: Seppo Sormunen (Duluth, Minn.), Stan Vinge (Waunakee, Wis.), Wally Henry (Beaver Dam, Wis.), Jim Wilson (Winnetka, Ill.)
* Team Wright: Jeff Wright (Libertyville, Ill.), Nils Johansson (Highland Park, Ill.), J. Michael Griem (Lake Bluff, Ill.), Michael Bonnema (Northbrook, Ill.)
USA Curling is sponsored by Kodiak Technology Group, AIT Worldwide Logistics and Nike.