10 teams qualify for 2010 US Olympic Team Trials so far
STEVENS POINT, Wis. (Jan. 12, 2009) - It will take one more day to know the first 12 teams that have qualified for the 2010 U.S. Olympic Team Trials next month in Broomfield, Colo., as tiebreakers continue to play out at Qualifying Round events across the U.S.
On the women's side, 2006 Olympian Cassie Potter captured the Midwest regional despite not needing to play her final match against Debbie McCormick, whose team qualified as the runner-up. In the west regional, former junior national champion Gillian Gervais led her North Dakota squad to an undefeated record to earn the trip to the Olympic Trials. Out East at the Ardsley Curling Club, top seed Erika Brown, a two-time Olympian (1998, 1988), led her team to an undefeated finish. Patti Lank, 2004 U.S. champion, earned the second berth. The third berth is still being determined as the final tiebreaker game between Charrissa Lin (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Anne Stuhlman (Utica, N.Y.) will be played Monday morning.
In the men's division, 2008 world junior champion Chris Plys (Duluth, Minn.) captured the Midwest South title in Centerville, Wis., while Tyler George (Duluth, Minn.) won the Midwest North title. In the grueling East regional, Todd Birr (Mankato, Minn.), Kevin Deeren (Chicago) and Mike Farbelow (Minneapolis) earned direct berths to the Olympic Trials. The West regional is going to a second tiebreaker game tonight between Jason Larway and Mark Johnson, both Seattle-based teams. The winner heads to the Olympic Trials while the losing team heads to the Challenge Round.
The remaining eight teams will be determined at the Challenge Round Jan. 28-Feb. 1 in Bismarck, N.D. (men's) and Green Bay, Wis. (women's).
Here's a look at the teams that have qualified straight to the Olympic Trials so far:
* Gillian Gervais rink, West regional champions: Gillian Gervais (Bismarck, N.D.), Sarah Lehman (Bemidji, Minn.), Stephanie Jensen (Bismarck, N.D.), Sarah Felchle (Bismarck, N.D.)
* Cassie Potter rink, Midwest regional champions: Cassie Potter (Minneapolis), Jamie Haskell (White Bear Lake, Minn.), Laura Roessler (Trempealeau, Wis.), Jackie Lemke (Medford, Wis.)
* Debbie McCormick rink, Midwest regional runner-up: Debbie McCormick (Rio, Wis.), Allison Pottinger (Eden Prairie, Minn.), Nicole Joraanstad (Madison, Wis.), Natalie Nicholson (Bemidji, Minn.), Tracy Sachtjen (Lodi, Wis.)
* Erika Brown rink, East regional champions: Erika Brown (Oakville, Ontario), Nina Spatola (McFarland, Wis.), Nina Reiniger (New York City), Laura Hallisey (Medfield, Mass.)
* Patti Lank rink, East regional runners-up: Patti Lank (Lewiston, N.Y.), Caitlin Maroldo (Rochester, N.Y.), Ann Swisshelm (Chicago), Chrissy Haase (Schenectady, N.Y.)
* Chris Plys rink, Midwest South champions: Chris Plys (Duluth, Minn.), Aanders Brorson (Duluth, Minn.), Matt Perushek (Eveleth, Minn.), Matt Hamilton (McFarland, Wis.), Phill Drobnick (Duluth, Minn.)
* Tyler George rink, Midwest North champions: Tyler George (Duluth, Minn.), Kris Perkovich (Chisholm, Minn.), Mark Haluptzok (Bemidji, Minn.), Kevin Johnson (Winebago, Minn.)
* Kevin Deeren rink, East regional: Kevin Deeren (Chicago), Kraig Deeren (Waunakee, Wis.), Joey Bonfoey (Lac du Flambeau, Wis.), Richard Maskel (Green Bay, Wis.)
* Mike Farbelow rink, East regional: Mike Farbelow (Minneapolis), Nick Myers (St. Paul, Minn.), Tim Solin (Mahtomedi, Minn.), Tim Gartner (Eagan, Minn.)
* Todd Birr rink, East regional: Todd Birr (Mankato, Minn.), Paul Pustovar (Hibbing, Minn.), Greg Wilson (Vernon Hills, Ill.), Kevin Birr (St. Peter, Minn.)
Here's a look at the teams that are eligible to play in the Challenge Round, Jan. 28-Feb. 1 (additional teams to be determined):
* Kaye Hufman rink, West regional: Kaye Hufman, Lacy Birklid, Vicky Persinger, Nicole Fox (all of Fairbanks, Alaska)
* Cristin Clark rink, West regional: Cristin Clark, Sharon Vukich, Emily Good, Katy Sharpe (all of the Seattle area)
* Margie Smith rink, Midwest regional: Margie Smith (Shoreview, Minn.), Norma O'Leary (Silver Bay, Minn.), Becky Johansen (Two Harbors, Minn.), Theresa Hoffoss (Minneapolis)
* Amy Wright rink, Midwest regional: Amy Wright (Duluth, Minn.), Courtney George (Duluth, Minn.), Jordan Moulton (Highland Park, Ill.), Patti Luke (Duluth, Minn.)
* Lori Karst rink, Midwest regional: Lori Karst (Madison, Wis.), Joy Pahl (Green Bay, Wis.), Miranda Schieber (Portage, Wis.), Miyo Konno (Monroe, Wash.)
* Aileen Sormunen rink, Midwest regional, WCT points team: Aileen Sormunen (Duluth, Minn.), Molly Bonner (Virginia, Minn.), Jessica Schultz (Minneapolis), Maureen Brunt (Minneapolis)
* Sandra McMakin, East regional: Sandra McMakin (Potomac, Md.), Ann Drummie (Washington, D.C.), Rachel Treesh (Silver Spring, Md.), Rebecca Baxter (Wheaton, Md.)
* Pete Fenson rink, East regional: Pete Fenson (Bemidji, Minn.), Shawn Rojeski (Chisholm, Minn.), Joe Polo (Duluth, Minn.), Tom O'Connor (Golden Valley, Minn.)
* Brandon Corbett rink, East regional: Brandon Corbett (Rochester, N.Y.), Derek Corbett (Rochester, N.Y.), Chris Bond (Henrietta, N.Y.), Kell Orlando (Seneca Falls, N.Y.)
* Bryan Wight rink, East regional: Bryan Wight (Canandaigua, N.Y.), Lyle Sieg (Castro Valley, Calif.), Charles Taggart (Green Bay, Wis.), Mark Lazar (Toledo, Ohio)
* Matt Hames rink, East regional: Matt Hames (Buffalo, N.Y.), Matt Mielke (Somerville, Mass.), Bill Stopera (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.), Dean Gemmell (Short Hills, N.J.)
* John Shuster rink, Midwest south: John Shuster (Duluth, Minn.), Jason Smith (Cape Coral, Fla.), Jeff Isaacson (Gilbert, Minn.), John Benton (St. Michael, Minn.), Ryan Lemke (Medford, Wis.)
* Dan Lilla rink, Midwest south: Dan Lilla (Galesville, Wis.), John Lilla (Trempealeau, Wis.), Kroy Nernberger (Medford, Wis.), Casey Konopacky (Stevens Point, Wis.)
* Craig Disher rink, Midwest north: Craig Disher (Rolla, N.D.), Kevin Kakela (Rolla, N.D.), Zach Jacobson (Langdon, N.D.), Carey Kakela (St. John, N.D.), Kurt Disher (Rolla, N.D.)
* Craig Brown rink, earns berth as returning national champion: Craig Brown (Madison, Wis.), Rich Ruohonen (Brooklyn Park, Minn.), John Dunlop (Milwaukee, Wis.), Pete Annis (Owatonna, Minn.)
* Greg Persinger, earns berth as World Curling Tour Top 10 points team: Greg Persinger (Anchorage, Alaska), Steve Birklid (Fairbanks, Alaska), Chad Persinger (Fairbanks, Alaska), Matt Rudig (Superior, Wis.)
USA Curling is sponsored by Kodiak Technology Group, AIT Worldwide Logistics and Nike.