|Hometown:|| Welland, Ontario
|Occupation:||Aerospace engineer/business owner|
|Education:|| Bachelor's degree in engineering and applied science from Caltech;
SM in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from MIT
|Family:||Married to Charrissa Lin|
|Year started curling:||1985|
- U.S. National Championships: 2006 (10th), 2002
- U.S. Mixed National Championship: 2013 (champion), 2010 (bronze), 2009, 2008 (4th), 2005 (6th), 2004 (semifinalist), 2003 (6th)
- GNCC Mixed Championship: 2013 (champion), 2010 (champion), 2008 (4th), 2005, 2004, 2003 (champion all three years)
- U.S. Mixed Doubles Championship: 2010, 2009, 2008 (runner-up)
- U.S. Club National Championship: 2009, 2007 (3rd)
About Derek Surka:
Curls out of:
Curling strengths: "Some people would say I don't have any but I prefer to think I keep them hidden until needed."
Curling goals: "Win a national championship. Help grow competitive curling on the East Coast."
Offbeat curling experience: "Watching Dennis 'float' down the ice on two sliders when his gripper fell off while trying to sweep my stone. It's a good thing Charrissa was there to catch him at the other end. Unfortunately for all the spectators, there should be no repeat of this feat at Mixed Nationals as our sweepers have switched sides."
Something unique: "I had the opportunity to fly on NASA's Zero Gravity plane that is used to train astronauts. It was clearly one of the most memorable experiences of my life and probably as close to flying in space as I'll get. (And yes, the moniker 'Vomit Comet' is accurate.)"