Credit: AIBAWednesday, March 13, 2013 marked the beginning of a new era for USA Boxing as Dr Ching-Kuo Wu, President of the International Boxing Association (AIBA), formally approved all of the recommendations proposed by the USA Boxing Reform Committee.
Over a period of a number of months, the Reform Committee, under the chairmanship of Mr Richard Meade, undertook a thorough and exhaustive process of review, discussion and consultation resulting in the presentation of a detailed set of recommendations to AIBA for approval.
Some of the key recommendations include:
- Adoption of new Bylaws to improve the governance structure of USA Boxing. Key to this is the formation of a new 10 person Board of Directors comprised of two Athlete Directors, four Independent Directors, one LBC Director, one Affiliate Director, one General Membership Director, one AIBA Director. Five of the 10 would be appointed by an independent Nominating & Governance Committee;
- Reform of the rules of USA Boxing to bring them into line with AIBA rules; - Focus on increasing the number and competence of boxing coaches in the USA;
- Development of new revenue streams with a focus on sponsorship and marketing;
- Reorganization of USA Boxing headquarters;
- Increased emphasis on women's boxing and providing for the participation of at least one woman at Board of Directors meetings.For more information on the AIBA-approved reform committee recommendations, go to: http://www.aiba.org/en-US/news/ozqsp/newsId/5342/news.aspx