Dr. Frederick W. Coleman selected as USA Badminton Board Chair
The Board of Directors of USA Badminton has selected Dr. Fred Coleman as Board Chair
Dr. Coleman is a Clinical Psychiatrist and Assistant Clinical Professor for the University of Wisconsin Medical School. Fred Coleman has been involved in the sport of badminton in many capacities over the years. He has served on the USA Badminton Board of Directors as At-Large Director since 2009. He has been a member and Chair of the USA Badminton Junior Committee since 1995. He was also a member of USA Badminton’s Coaching Development Committee for 2 stints (1999-2001 and 2005-2007). He served as past coach of the Triple B Badminton Club, coaching several players at the U.S. Junior National level. He coached the 2004 Junior World Championships USA team in Vancouver. He is also the coach of the University of Wisconsin Badminton Club which is a three time winner of the Midwest Intercollegiate Badminton Team trophy (2005-2007).
In the last four years as a member of the USA Badminton Board of Directors, he has:
- Led the process of Strategic Planning-to develop plans to grow both High Performance and Community Badminton.
- Worked with the Director of High Performance to develop the High Performance and Community Coaching Certification Programs.
- Overseen the growth of Junior Elite programs from a Junior Nationals Tournament of 150 to 400 players, the Junior International Trial for international team selection process, the growth of Junior Pan Am from 8 to 65 players, and regular participation in Junior World Championships.
- Suggested the Board of Directors meeting be held in all regions of the country to allow contact with members.
- Increased communication.
- Developed a strategy for membership growth for USA Badminton.
- Visited every major club in California, Seattle, Boston, New York, Washington, Florida and some clubs in other areas of the country to discuss with clubs and players their needs from USA Badminton.
All of the above items were accomplished with the help of many active members of USA Badminton with shared ideas and a team approach.